Tough Decisions

ANNA

Things were not looking good for us at the moment. I swooped down to save a few people who were going to be trapped by falling debris. The Chitauri leviathan was still following Tony, to where, I don't know.

"What's the story upstairs?" I heard Steve speak.

"The powers surrounding the cube is impenetrable." I heard the other blonde in our ragtag group, Thor say gravely.

"Thor is right." Stark told us. "We gotta deal with these guys."

"How do we do this?" Natasha asked.

"As a team." Steve concluded and I smiled. He was right, we all bring something different to the table, together we could beat these ugly creatures.

"I have unfinished business with Loki." Thor stated and I scoffed.

"Yeah well-" Clint started but I cut him off.

"Get in line, Thor, let's focus on the bigger problem here. You can finish your business with him when we send him packing back to Asgard." I nearly yelled over the coms. "Pissing contests, I swear." I said under my breath.

"Exactly, Loki's gonna keep this fight focused on us and that's what we need. Without him these things could run wild. We got Stark and Izzy up top they're going to need us.." He trailed off.

"What?" I asked, a little afraid.

"I've seen worse." Nat says.

"Seen what?" I ask fervently, I was confused and they were really scaring me right now.

"No, we could use a little worse." She said softly.

"Stark?" Steve called for the billionaire. "We got him."

"Banner?" He asked, surprise and relief on his voice.

"Just like you said." Steve confirmed.

"Well tell him to suit up." He says excitedly.

I shook my head, my pulse slowing down, these humans will be the death of me. I sighed and kept following Tony, helping a few civilians here and there. I saw the team gathered together in the distance, Tony was bringing the leviathan toward them. My eyes widened. "Tony..." I started.

"I'm bringing the party to you." He rounded a building and was flying right at them.

I sped up to fly in front of the monster... And the leviathan. I met the team in record speed. I touched down next to Nat.

"I- I don't see how that's a party." The Russian spoke quietly.

Tony dips and the big ugly flying fish does the same behind him. They are right above the street and coming in hot. I ready myself for the worst. I knit my eyebrows as Bruce starts to walk toward the beast.

"Dr. Banner, now might be a good time for you to get angry." Steve suggests.

"That's the thing, fam I be always mad. I can suddenly control my power whenever it's convenient for the plot. Fax." And he turns into that enormous green rage monster and and fucking kills the leviathan with the help from one of Tony's mini-rockets. Chunks of Chitauri fly everywhere and I dodge them like I was in the Matrix. Things were looking up for us. I smile, maybe Loki would uphold his end of the bargain and surrender convincingly.

But the thought of that made my smile fade. I would have to leave my home and the people I love. Sure, they were going to be the reason for my demise but they were family, friends... Lovers. Would I fit in on Asgard? Would I find new people to spend time with? There was Thor, but he was a total blockhead. Were all the men on that planet like him? Sure, Loki was definitely different but he was evil, wasn't he? I didn't really know anymore. He was very smart, that's for sure, just not a great decision maker. He kept me on my toes.

Steve on the other hand was smart too, but he was different than the Steve I first met. I don't know if he's the same Steve I fell in love with. I don't know if I'm the same girl that fell in love with him. It's been too long, we've both changed. And even with that serum he's still fragile, all my friends here were fragile, I could lose them any day. Natasha, Clint, hell even Fury. I don't even want to think about what already happened to Coulson.

I was pulled out of my grim thoughts by the horrifying sight of hundreds of thousands more Chitauri swarms strolling through the portal. I searched for Loki in the sky, silently cursing his name. So he was pure evil after all. Guess that makes it easier for me. I'm gonna sever his handsome head from his lean body.

"Guys." Natasha calls out to the rest of the team to get their attention.

They all turned and gawked at the overwhelming sight. "Call it, Cap." Tony spoke through his metal mask.

Steve snapped out of it quickly. His soldier side switched on its max setting as he thought of a game plan. "Alright, listen up." I could see his mind reeling behind blue eyes. "Until we close that portal up there, we're going to use containment. Barton, I want you on that roof, eyes on everything. Call out patterns and strays. Stark, you got the perimeter. Anything gets more than three blocks out, you turn it back or you turn it to ash." He ordered.

"Wanna give me a lift?" Clint asked Tony.

"Right, better clench up Legolas." He said and they were off.

"Izzy, Thor, you've got to try to bottleneck that portal. Slow them down. You've got the fire and the lightning. Light the bastards up."

I nodded and flew up after Thor, going to the opposite side of the portal as him. He got most of the big groups out of the way but it took him a while to charge up all the power so while he was doing that I was torching. We made a pretty good team, but soon too many strays started slipping through our grasp. Thor went off to help containment down below and I stayed focused on the portal. They just kept coming through, exactly how many soldiers did they have?

A flash of regal green and gold caught my eye, and I knew he was watching me. I groaned and rolled my eyes. But then I see him shoot at something... Someone rather.

"Nat, what are you doing?" I hear Clint ask the spy.

"I second that question." I say, my heartbeat speeding up.

"Uh, a little help?" She said desperately.

Loki wouldn't shoot her down would he? I started to fly over to her. "I'm on m-"

"I've got him." Clint said and the next thing I know an arrow is whizzing the God's way. I bit my lip hoping he wouldn't dodge it. I saw him catch it and raised my eyebrows. He wouldn't fall for that old trick would he?

I saw his eyes flicker to me as the arrow blew up in his face. I was speechless. Was he...? Could he really be giving up? I frowned as I saw him fall onto Stark's landing pad below me. I prayed that he would just stay down; but part of me prayed he didn't, that he would get up again and really try to take over the world, to show no mercy. I was literally shaken out of my thoughts when a bolt of energy clipped my arm. I turned around and saw a three Chitauri soldiers on chariots surrounding me. They screeched out "Surrender! The War Lord gave us orders not to harm you!"

I scoffed. "Like Hell I will! Burn!" I replied to them in plain English and sent a big fire ball their way. More came and tried to contain me and I fought them off the best I could, none of them could fly on their own and they would have to severely injure me to ground me so I was at an advantage. That didn't stop them from giving me flesh wounds. The energy they shot at me had a cold burn to it, but I had to push through.