Anxious Ascension

ANNA

My body clock woke me up as I couldn't really tell what time it actually was since there wasn't a clock or window in sight in my room. I got out of the warm bed and stretched. I was sore, and it wasn't an all night training session sore, every part of my body ached and burned. I laughed at my pain. My first real fight and I was already running away. If I couldn't handle humans what makes me think I could handle gods. Well... Nothing can get worse than this, right? I went into my private bathroom and looked at myself in the small mirror bolted above the sink. I turned the faucets, got my hands wet and rubbed my face. I looked in the mirror once more. Sad gold eyes looked back at me. I sighed and turned on my heel, facing the shower. I turned on the water before stripping and stepping under the shower-head.

The hot water relaxed my bones and I almost forgot about everything troubling me. Almost.

I started sensing my surroundings. One hundred and two lives on the helicarrier, including me. I could feel Loki's life signature, he was pacing in a room. There were five lives surrounding him, standing in place. Fury and Maria were walking swiftly through halls. It was hard for me to not focus on anything. It has always been this way, I'm always sensing my friends to make sure they're okay, I'm always focusing on them. Never on me, never on what I need and what makes me happy. But seeing them happy made me happy right? Wrong. It just made me jealous knowing I could never have what they had. That's why I was pulled to Natasha, she had no one like me, and we both enjoyed Clint's company even if we both knew about his little secret. Natasha even played his love interest on many occasions to help him hide it.

Of course now I could have Steve, but I couldn't do that to him; being with each other would only hurt us. He needed someone without any baggage, a simple human girl who didn't have a world to protect. He deserved it. Me? I deserved to die alone. But hey maybe I'll find someone on this alien planet, I was an alien after all. Well half alien. Why did things have to be so complicated for me?

I sighed a frustrated sigh and shut off the water. The sudden chill embraced me at the absence of hot water. I pulled the shower curtain back and the towel of the rack and wrapped it around my frame. I grabbed another towel and dried my hair with it. I stepped out of the shower and caught my reflection in the mirror as I was walking out. I stopped in my tracks and looked at myself. My skin was its natural reddish brown and my eyes were golden yellow and the few curls that peeked from under the towel were green and gold where they caught the light. I didn't belong here. But I didn't really belong with the Asgardians now, did I? Thor was blonde haired and blue eyed, he could be Steve's long lost older brother. Sure, he was stronger than any regular human on Earth and had the muscles to show for it, not to mention a hammer that only he could lift. But he still looked more human than me. Loki had black hair and emerald eyes, but he did have magic. But neither god looked like me. They were each special in a way like me. I would fit in more with the Asgardians than I ever did with humans.

I walked out of my bathroom and to my closet. I dried the rest of my body and put on some fresh underwear and a tight black shirt. I pulled on some black yoga pants and some short socks and running shoes I pulled my long green hair into a ponytail and put on some sunglasses. I grabbed my leather jacket and pulled my arms through the sleeves. I looked at the room and sighed. I could sense Thor approaching the helicarrier. I picked up my bookbag at the door and put my arms through the straps. What was he doing here this early? I picked up my watch from the top of the dessert and my jaw dropped. So much for my body clock. It was almost eleven o'clock, I was late. I strapped the watch on my wrist and opened my door.

I walked into the halfway and confronted the first agent I saw. "Why did nobody wake me?!" I gave him a death glare.

He put his arms up to surrender. "Fury told us to not even go near your door."

I growled and walked past him down the hallway to the door to the deck where Fury and Hill were waiting for Thor. I swiftly walked over to them. They were chatting about something. Blah blah tesseract blah blah gods etcetera etcetera. "Why didn't anyone wake me?" I asked them, interrupting them.

Fury didn't miss a beat. "There was no need to." He didn't even turn to look at me.

I grit my teeth. "Uh yeah there was, our rendezvous time was ten, now you dragged Thor all the way here." I pouted.

"We have unfinished business with Thor." He stated bluntly.

I raised an eyebrow. "What unfinished business? The war is over his brother is detained. He's going to take Loki and the Tesseract back to Asgard where they belong. So they can handle their own problems."

The blonde warrior touched down in the middle of my short speech. "You took the words right out of my mouth, Anna. We will take back what belongs to us. Your people can live in peace." He argued.

Fury turned and walked past Thor to look out over the edge at the water. He was quiet for a while. "But how can we trust you?" He finally spoke.

I took a step up. "You don't have to." I said with as much confidence as I could muster. Maria and Thor both looked at me expectantly "Trust me. Earth is my first priority, I would die before I'd let anything befall it. You know me, you might not have raised me but you shaped me and that's what counts." I didn't realize the truth in my words until they actually left my mouth. "Earth is my first home and it has been my only home for my entire life, I'll be distant, but I will always watch over my home."

The director turned to look at us again. "I suppose there's no use arguing so I won't." He started to walk back to the doors to the inside. "Hill, get a quinjet ready." He ordered her before the door closed behind him.

I was busy watching him when Thor's large hand made its way to my shoulder. "You will be accompanying us to Asgard?" I turned to him and his expression showed confusion.

I forgot he didn't know, I forgot none of the heroes knew, not even Steve. I held my ground, summoning all my confidence. "Asgard will be my new home."