Devilish Deals

ANNA

I sat on Tony's expensive couch and watched Loki order Selvig around. I figured they must've been setting up for the portal. Loki steps inside and I closely watch him as he walks over to me.

"In less than an hour the Chitauri will arrive and then the earth will be mine- ours." he grinned.

"So when are you going to brainwash me with your scepter?" I ask tilting my head, wanting to know how long my mind would be mine. I noted how the color of the inner edges of his aura matched that of the tesseract. I looked out at Selvig and frowned, he looked terrible, and he had that same electric blue tinge.

Loki scoffed and turned his nose up at the idea. "I'm not."

I raised my eyebrow. "Well I'm not going to go along with you of my own will." I chuckled. Bruce had been right Loki's head was a great big bag full of cats.

"Oh, but you will." He insisted. "I am everything you wish for, I can gift you with anything you desire."

I snorted. "Everything I wish for? Uhh, buddy I think you have yourself confused with someone else."

He came over and knelt in front of me. My eyebrows raised. "Think on it. The only reason you are still here, on earth, is because your purpose draws you to the mortals, and it's making you miserable. If you keep falling in love with them it will surely lead to your death; but if you stay with me, you can live, you can be happy."

"Think on it." I mimicked him. "I could never love you, you're bringing the same godforsaken race that killed my people to kill the ones I care about most."

He ducked his head, bowing under my words. "It's not my fault." he whispered in a foreign language.

"You sure about that?" I asked him in plain English.

His head shot up and he searched my eyes. "You understand?" He asked in the language.

I nodded slowly, an eyebrow raised. "You really know nothing about me. I can understand all languages, I can speak most. What language is this?" I asked in his new foreign tongue.

His green eyes were wide. "It is a secret language my m- Frigga and I created, only she and I speak and understand it."

"Well now all three of us do." I shrugged.

"This is perfect!" he exclaimed and I leaned back. He saw this and reached out for me. "Please, do not be frightened. I am not in full control over all of my actions. I am just like your friends, controlled by the scepter. I am but a puppet on a string. I don't want to rule the earth, it is Asgard I covet."

I rolled my eyes. "You know I don't believe you, right?"

"How can I make you believe?" he asked, his eyes desperate.

I bit my lip. He seemed serious, I didn't want to believe him. To trust him. He was the literal God of lies and tricks. "Lose the fight. Go home with your brother." I said quietly.

He shook his head gravely. "If the Other saw me surrender he would surely find me and kill me."

"Then give up convincingly." I told him sternly. "I'm sure it won't be too hard for a liar like yourself."

"You still don't believe me?" he grimaced.

"Would you believe you?"

He looked down again. "Well, no." he looked out the window. "I'll do it, on one condition."

I gave him sidelong look. "And what's that?" I ask.

His head turned slowly and once again his eyes were staring into mine. "You come with me to Asgard."

"Now why would I do that?"

"Because staying here is killing you, why do you think your ancestors stayed away? There is so much on Asgard. Many accounts of your people, you could learn so much more than what your mother told you in her short time. You could end the life of walking on eggshells and hold your head high. Odin would surely show mercy on you, his guilt over his father's actions. You could live a life you would never have dreamed of. You could wear your true colors and drop this chameleon act." He spoke hopefully.

"And what's in it for you?"

"The presence of your company." He grinned. "I know not what my punishment will be, but if you would visit me I could bear whatever Odin has in store."

I looked down. Why me? He was right, about staying on earth. It was killing me slowly. I did miss my green hair and russet skin. I did have to double check every move I made. I was made to protect them.... Protect them, not live with them. This decision would protect them. And protect me. But it could just be a trick. I looked back into his eyes. I wished I had the power to tell when people were lying. His aura told me he was being truthful, aside from the ominous blue that loomed; but maybe he knew how to manipulate it. Maybe I shouldn't have joined S.H.I.E.L.D. Maybe I shouldn't have become friends with Steve. Maybe I should have given myself to the earth right when my parents died. The ultimate sacrifice and power Medjordians have.

I looked around the room, it was spacious but it was making me feel claustrophobic. My hands were still restrained behind my back. I was his captive but he promised me a life of freedom. I thought back to when I first saw him, back at the Pegasus lab. He looked horrible. I thought he looked handsome. Terrifying, but handsome. My gut told me to run away. My gut now told me to trust him. I thought of Steve. It hurt me to love him. Literally. He was human, even with his enhancements, he wouldn't live as long as me. He wouldn't be as sturdy as me. He should be with another human, someone like him. Natasha needed someone, maybe they could get together. I shouldn't have kissed him. Twice. I shouldn't have made a connection with anyone. I should have just helped from afar, like Loki is offering me the chance to do now.

I looked at his calm face, patiently waiting for an answer. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. "You can't kill any of my friends." I confirmed.

He took a sharp intake of breath. "Is Thor your friend?" he spoke in english.

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Loki." I warned.

"Alright, alright." he put his hands up in defeat. "You have my word, my beautiful Isabelliana." My eyes widened and a chill was sent down my spine. This was the first time he had ever said my first name and I was totally unprepared.

My mouth opened and closed like a fish not able to find words. I was saved when I looked out of the window when I felt a familiar life approaching. "You have company." I nodded towards Tony in the Iron Man suit. "Look alive."

He nodded and stood and went out to meet Tony, who tried to shut the machine down and just caused it to backfire and knock Selvig out. I watched intently as he landed and started to remove the armor, walking inside. Loki followed. He saw me and nodded, I returned it and kept quiet.

"Please tell me you're going to appeal to my humanity." Loki says, a smirk on his face.

Tony casually walks over to the bar. "Uh, actually, I'm planning to threaten you." I raise my eyebrow as he says this.

"You should have left your armor on for that." the God remarks.

"Yeah, it's seen a bit of mileage. You've got the blue stick of destiny." he gestured to Loki's scepter. "Would you like a drink?" he asked him.

He shook his head. "Stalling me won't change anything."

"No, no! Threatening. No drink? Anna?" he asked me. "I'm having one."

I gave a bemused smile. "Sure."

Loki looked at both of us. "The Chitauri are coming, nothing will change that. What have I to fear?"

"The Avengers." He said it like it was obvious. Loki looked confused and I grinned.