Chapter 5

I looked outside of the room and tried not to pay attention to the clinking sound of the metal and the conversation between the nurse and my parents about blood type.

Who cares about blood type when I'm the one getting jabbed every week and consuming really disgusting medicines that will give me side effect right after I consume it. It involved in my butt sticking into the toilet bowl for the whole Saturday.

I watched the tree swaying outside, oblivious to the human who are suffering in the hospital. How I wish I am the tree and the birds. Wild and free.

I felt a pinch on my forearm then the nurse smiled, "We are done."

Thank god. I got off the bed, not wanting to smile to anyone. Mum cleared the awkward situation for us while dad and I headed towards the room I will be having my group session.

What are the group sessions for when everyone are dying in the room? It's just sharing of how we are afraid of dying, how we are going to die, how can they cope blah.

I would rather be somewhere else than here.

"You don't have to be such a sour bitch, you know." Dad said as we signed in to my group session. Five names were already in there. I raised my eyebrow at him, "What do you expect, dad? Smiling like I'm not dying?"

"You smile to your friends," He stated, checking the direction paper in his hand.

"That's different, they are my friends."

"Well, you are going to be friends with the nurses and doctors too. Here we are. Call me once you are done." Dad said, stopping in front of a door. I took a peek inside and saw the five of them are happily chatting away.

A nurse walked out and smiled warmly at us, "You must be Nichole and Daniel Pierce. Here," She tore a masking tape and gave it to me, "Write your name and you can go in and meet new friends."

I almost groaned out loud. I sighed, wrote my name and glanced at dad who stood there awkwardly. I nudged him, "Go away. I will get a ride from a friend later."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I'm positive. Get out before I drag you in." I threatened, pasted my oh-so-pretty tape on my left shoulder. My dad stared at my name tag, covered his mouth with his fist to stop himself from laughing at this ridiculous situation.

I punched him lightly on his chest, "Shut up!" Then I waved him off, felt like I'm five years ago, going school with my parents staring behind until I make friends.

Everyone stopped what they are doing and stared. I bit my lips, not sure where should I go. A middle aged woman, her name tag wrote Josephine, walked in with the biggest smile. "Who haven't signed in yet?"

"Garrett," A guy with buzz hair said, "We got a new friend."

He pointed at me with a weird smile.

Then one of them dragged a chair to add on to their circle. I said my thanks and sat down while Josephine watched us, "Nichole, nice to meet you. Guys, this is Nichole. Nichole, this is well, guys."

"Hi, guys." I waved awkwardly and Josephine stood in the middle of the circle, "Should we introduce ourselves first?"

One of the guy named Ayden groaned, "We all know that already!"

Casper, looking thin and fragile chuckled, "I'm Casper. I'm fifteen and I have Acute Leukemia. I love to play video games and listen to classic music. I have no friends except for this group session."

Huh. Classic music. I licked my dry lips, feeling nervous.

Before Ayden could introduce him, someone knocked and walked in. He caught my eyes and the both of us just stared at each other. The mystery guy, G. He is wearing the same t-shirt and jeans. He changed his beanie colour to Navy.