Chapter 12

I wore a beanie to school today, a baggy sweater on a sunny day and jeans. My skin turned yellow. My hair is hideous and I think I don't have much time left.

Niall had football meeting this morning so I had to get a ride from Haley who is now standing by her car, texting with a smile. Don't have to guess, it's Eli. She have been texting me about Eli and told me how sweet he is.

The moment I stepped out from my house, I felt dizzy. I hold onto the banister and took a deep breath. The sun is blinding me. I dragged myself down to the front lawn, sweating as if I just ran a marathon.

It wasn't the sweater or anything.

I heard Haley screamed my name and the sun was no longer blinding me. I passed out, on the ground with Haley crying for me.

xx

Am I dead? The first thing came up in my mind when I opened my eyes. Mum is the first person I saw, then dad and Niall. They all broke into wide smile when they saw me opening my eyes.

I'm not dead yet.

Mum helped me up and dad got me a drink. Niall sat beside me and took my hands, "Haley went to the bathroom. We told her what happened to you. She freaked out when she brought you in because she didn't know what happened to you. Mum and dad came along and I rushed down. I had no choice, Nichole, she have to know."

I nodded, wetting my dry lips, "Thanks Nialler."

"Dr Lockwood said your body rejected the medication," Dad blurted out. Mum shot him a look and I smiled weakly, "Its okay mum. So how long do I have?"

All of them looked away from me and mum swallowed, taking a deep breath. I sighed, "I have to know, mum. I want to know how much longer."

"After your graduation," Niall said, he bit his lip, same habit as mine when I'm about to cry. I squeezed his hand. I have less than a month.

Mum finally broke down, ran out of the room and dad kissed my head before he went out to look for mum. Niall sat there with me. He looked up to the ceiling, took a long deep breath, "How's your bucket list going?"

"13 more to go," I said, "I have less than a month."

Haley walked into the ward and stared at me. Her eyes red and puffy, her cheeks were red from crying. She is a mess. I smiled, "You look like shit,"

"You too," She hugged me and started sobbing, "Why didn't you tell me? You should tell me and said the bucket list was for real. I will do it with you no matter what."

"Even the sex?" Niall piped up. Haley and I flipped him away. Haley wiped her tears away, "I can't believe this. Why you?"

"Trust me, I will let you know the answer once I figure it out myself." I said and pulled her to me, "I'm fine,"

"You are not. You collapsed. Doctor said you have less than..."

"I know my body better than the doctor. I am fine and I will be discharged later, right, Niall?"

Niall nodded. Haley's bottom lip trembled and she wiped her fresh tears again, "The Sawyer and your weird topic change time, it all made sense now."

"So you did realize I changed the topic! I thought I was getting better at changing the topic."

Niall snickered beside me. Haley rolled her eyes and said, "I'm all in for your bucket list. I would even do one to make you do it with me. Just promise me not to hide anything from me again okay?"

xx

I laid under the dark sky in my back yard with Sawyer in a comfortable silence. He texted me earlier, asked why I didn't go to school. I told him to meet at my house to hang out since dad and mum wanted to keep me close by their sides, in case I collapsed again.

I gave Haley some time to absorb all this and her mum called my mum to clarify that I am dying. Yep, I'm dying.

I didn't know what Sky Gazing was until now. Sawyer pointed out a star for me, "That's Aries and Aquarius."

"How did you even know which stars which? It's so confusing," I exclaimed. Sawyer laughed, "My uncle taught me when I was five. I was close to him and you know, years and years of practice. I was a nerd okay?"

I smiled, nodded, "I know."

He smirked and took my hand, "You are cold,"

I pursed my lips and cuddled up to him. I took a deep breath, taking in his musky smell. He sighed, putting his head on mine, "You're special to me, Nichole."

Even the simple sentence melts my heart. I looked up at him, "Why?"

"I don't know. You are just like a magnet,"

"Is that a good thing or a bad thing?"

"You tell me," He lean closer, "I cannot stop myself from falling deeper. I don't know about you but it's difficult for me when I'm so close to you and not able to do this," He put his lips on mine, a small peck at first. A soft peck. I didn't move. It was like a drug, a medication that gave me immediate positive reaction. My body tingles and I find myself kissing him back.

It was slow and gentle. The whole universe on top of us. At that moment, I made a wish. A wish I hope it will come true.

Let me stay a little longer.