Chapter 9

I jumped out of my bed, ignoring the aching bone which was signaling me that I'm exerting myself. I took the bottle of Tabasco and prepared a glass of vodka. I brought the things into Niall's room. His room was those normal teenager boys room. His desktop corner filled with naked girl's posters and a few of his favorite band.

His dirty clothes are all over the floor. I replaced his water by the bedside with the vodka glass in my hand and then I walked over to Niall's sleeping figure. His mouth wipe open and drooling. I laughed silently to myself and pour the Tabasco into Niall's mouth.

He stirred for a little and when he opened his eyes to find me in his room, he jumped out of his bed and quickly grabbed the glass by the table and drank it. Now, Vodka will only douse the flame of Tabasco. He groaned, flipped me off and hurried to his toilet, drinking from the tap.

I plopped down to his bed and started laughing until my sides hurt.

He walked out, his lips red from the spice in his mouth. He pushed me lightly to a side, "I have to give you this. Next time, baby sis,"

*

Sawyer wasn't in school. He didn't reply my texts too. So after school, I asked Haley to drive me down to the town to his workplace. Haley glanced at me, "Answer me, lady, do you like Sawyer?"

I sighed, pushing my fringe away from my hair, "I don't know, Hales. He's fun to be with."

Haley looked at me and smiled widely, "Oh, you like him a lot, don't you? Nichole Pierce like Sawyer Wyatt!"

"Shut up, you are so annoying." I said, but I can't resist the smile on my face. Then I glanced down at my sleeve and saw the yellow bruise. The bruise reminds me every day that my days are getting shorter and shorter. I wiped the smile on my face and shook my head determinedly, "It's not going to work,"

"What is not going to work?"

I didn't answer Haley, I unbuckled my seatbelt, hugged her across the dashboard and said, "Thanks for the ride. See you tomorrow."

"Go away," She rolled her eyes, gave me a smirk and then drove off.

*

I walked into the workshop and I didn't see Sawyer at all but instead I found his friend, Elijah. He looked tanned and smaller than Sawyer. But anyway, Elijah turned and smiled, "Need help?"

"Err; actually I'm looking for Sawyer." I said. Elijah studied me for a while and then his smile turned into a big wide grin, "I assume you are the girl he have been talking about,"

"I'm not sure if I'm the girl but I'm Nichole," I shook his hand and he chuckled, "Yep, you are definitely the girl he's been talking about, Elijah, you can call me Eli."

"I hope its all good things," I said nervously. What would Sawyer said about me?  "Is he here?"

"Who are you talking to?" Sawyer walked out from an office and then stopped walking when he saw me, "Oh, Nichole."

"She's really pretty," Eli commented. I blushed; nobody ever said that in front of me ever. Except for Haley and my mum.

Sawyer walked towards us, "Go away, Eli."

"Nice to meet you, Nichole," Eli winked at me and then resume what he was doing before I walked in. Sawyer gave me a light smile, "So, came for Starbucks again?"

"No," I said, "I came to find you. You didn't reply my texts and you didn't go to school."

He grinned, "Worried about me?" He leaned too close that I could smell his fresh minty breath. I rolled my eyes, knowing I'm blushing right now and it doesn't help at all.

"I left my phone at home and I wasn't in the mood to go to school today," He said and ruffled his hair, "Want to go somewhere with me? I'm off work now."

"Yeah, sure,"

*

We got our drinks at Starbucks and Sawyer drove to a lake near his workplace which I didn't know until now. He took my bag of sandwiches for me and held my hand, walking through the rocky path until we reached a bench by the lake.

"So what happened?" I asked. I could easily see something was on his mind all the way here and even when he's talking to me. It's like something was clouding his clear blue eyes.

"It's my father's death anniversary," He said, sitting down and drinking his coffee. I was surprised how easily he answered my questions. It's so personal and I thought Sawyer kept his personal things to himself.

"I'm sorry,” I said, nibbling on my sandwich. He chuckled dryly, "Don't worry, It's just. Every time I thought of it, it kills me to know that he didn't care about us and choose drugs over us. My mum went into depression because of him and she never really talk to me anymore. When I visit her, she will stare in the space most of the time."

I stared at the different Sawyer. He's not any bad ass or jail bird. He's just a normal lonely teenager who had a shield in front of him because of his family. "Didn't you try talking to her?"

He ate his sandwich, "I spend one year with her, trying to take her out of her depression. Her doctor said it will be better for her but after a year, I gave up. My uncle sends her to the care service and forced me back to school. If not for my uncle, I think I will really end up in Jail."

I'm right! Sawyer wasn't in jail or anything. Having tattoos and piercing doesn't mean anything. He took a year break just to take care of his mother. I took his hand; it became a thing for the both of us. We just keep each other company and feel comfortable about holding hands.

He even shared his personal story with me.

"Thanks for telling me,"

He looked at me, his blue eyes are back to his usual sexy look, "I don't know. It's just that, you have this tendency to make people feel comfortable with you and tell you their deepest secret."

I laughed, "Do I?"

He put my fringe away from my face and behind my ears, "Yeah," He was going to kiss me. I was sure of it. If it wasn't because of what I'm afraid of, I won't move away. He stared at me when I leaned back, acting like nothing happened.

We just sat there, listening to the birds and eating our sandwich until the sun went down. He stood up, "Let's go."

When we reached my house, we sat down there and said nothing again. He started, "I didn't mean to scare you or anything,"

"What?" I looked at him. Sawyer ruffled his hair, frustrated, "You are the first girl I want to get close to and willing to tell you everything about me. I-"

Is he going to confess to me? I panicked. What if I really fall in love with him and then I left him alone? I don't want to hurt anyone, especially Haley and Sawyer. I really like Sawyer but I am going to die one day.

Falling in love was in my bucket list but I didn't think of the consequences. I didn't know falling in love will also meant to hurt the person. I looked at him and took his hand, "Sawyer, I really like you. But, can you do me a favor if we still want to hang out with each other?"

He nodded, hesitated a little.

"Don't fall in love with me."