A Kindness Given

You let a month slip by since your first attempt to understand your step dad's situation, it was getting close to Christmas time and your mother took you shopping so you could buy presents for your friends at school. Was it odd that you felt like you had none? Yes, your schoolmates were kind and you loved to talk to them about any number for things, but nothing was there to make you outright say they're your friend.

Nevertheless your mother took you shopping and you browsed and browsed for something not too much but not too little, not overly affectionate but not apathetic. There was a lot of things going through your mind when you and your mother came to an old bookshop, a very old one indeed. At least 100 years old from the looks, and sounds and the smell of it. The owner was an old man and you felt very certain he was barely all there himself from old age.

"Mother, can I give a present to one of Father's patients?"

Your mother was shocked from the sudden thought but seeing as it was such a kind thought she smiled though she seemed a bit worried.

"You could, but you must think very carefully first. The people your dad helps are not quite in their right mind so someone might get hurt if you give them something dangerous."

You nodded understanding as you browsed through the books, overlooking the titles as if scrutinizing them to be the best book for your purpose. You picked one average sized book with a plain cover but the spine was very interesting with golden roses flowering across. You opened it up to see it was a book of poems. In school you studied that poems have all kinds of meaning and depth while being small. You fell on one called 'A Boat Beneath A Sunny Sky' and it enchanted you. You had to get it. Knowing you would get that book, you then decided to get your schoolmates books too.

London really looked like Christmas that Christmas eve. Mum was preparing to do Christmas meal tomorrow and Dad...well.

"Don't tell me you have go back on Christmas Eve..."

"It'll only be for a few hours to complete some paperwork I had forgotten."

Your mother sighed and gave up, it was just how it was, wasn't it? You closed your book and quickly followed him to the door.

"Wait! I want to give a book to one of the patients!"

You called stopping your stepdad cold.

"A book..? I suppose I could send it along..."

He turned to accept the novel but you held it to your chest and became stubborn, something you rarely were.

"No, I want to give it to them myself."

Your mother was dashed.

"(Y/n) the Asylum is no place for a nice young girl like you. Just give the book over."

You said nothing but looked at Hieronymus seriously. The silence lasted so long, you were close to giving in, when he spoke up again.

"Get your coat, it's terribly cold."

You lit up and went for your coat, hearing your mother protest.

"Harry, what if she gets hurt?! What if they do something?"

"They'll have to get through me first. (M/n), I promise nothing will happen."

You rushed back to the door in your winter coat and gloves, book in hand and smiling.

"I'm all set!"

You stepped out with him, your mother growing more anxious by the second as she eventually went back to preparing Christmas meal.