Chapter 20

I woke up in a dark room. The door had a small window with bars in it. Great a cell. I should've known this would've happened.

Why did I put my guard down?

Why did I think he loved me?

Why did I fall for him?

Why didn't I just kill him and get this over with?

I'm so stupid.

I was drunk in the thought of love.

I looked down and saw that I was wearing a pair of white pants and shirt. I also had a collar around my neck.

Then the door opened and at the doorway were 2 investigators. They came in and grabbed my arms leading me out of the cell. I just followed them, I didn't feel like putting up a fight, it was no use.

After a while we were lead down a hallway and into a room. I was strapped down onto a chair and they left. A while later Amon came in with a stack on papers in his hands.

He sat down on the chair in front of me. Amon looked down and then at me. " Mei why did you lie to us?" He asked, I stayed quiet.

He slammed his hands down on the table between us. " Why didn't you tell us you were a ghoul?! What about everything we've been through?! Was everything about you a lie?! Mei answer me?!"

I gulped and looked at him. " My identity was a lie but my feelings were true."

" Be careful Amon, she's trying to lure you in her little trick." Standing at the doorway was Arima. " You still don't believe that I loved you right?"

Arima motioned his head so Amon could leave. He took one good look at me before walking out of the room. Arima closed the door and walked towards me giving me this awful stare.

" What's wrong? Is there something on my face?" I asked and smiled at him. " I'm not taking that from you. I know what you're doing. I know you're just a lie, a ghoul that must be kept in confinement." I laughed a little and looked at him.

" Darling, I know I've lied to you and I know we've been through a lot but I will tell you that my plan was to kill you, but-" I gulped and tried to hold in my tears. " After a while my feelings changed and I began to fall in love with you. I tried to stop but I couldn't. Being around you made me feel like a human again, even though you always talked about killing ghouls. I felt alive and I felt like we could have a real relationship and have a family, but I guess we can't now right. I mean look at where we are right now. I did love you, I loved you a lot, but like I said that's over now. Now we're just the ghoul and the investigator. Enemies that were lovers."

I looked at him and smiled. " Arima know that whatever you plan on doing to me is fine, even if that means that I'm going to die. Just promise me that you won't forget about me. Don't forget about the memories that we created and that we went through a lot as a couple I guess. But most importantly, don't forget that I love you and that I will always love you no matter what."

Tears came down my cheeks. I turned my head away and tried to wipe them away with my shoulders. Arima stood there for a while before turning around and leaving.

I knew he felt it too. That awful pang in our heart and the thought that I'll be here. The thought that I'm a ghoul and not a regular human girl. The thought that he be around me like I'm his girlfriend and not some evil ghoul. The thought that the women he ,well hopefully, once loved will no longer be apart of him anymore.