Six

Picture of Asa.

After years of conditioning, the red eyed Alpha finally reached the age of maturity, entrusted to watch and guard the captive Omegas. He woke up that morning with a bit of excitement. He was finally going to interact with other Wolves. Real ones!

Lady Amanda sensed the giddiness from the young man and gave a cruel smile. Whispering to the guards that were escorting Alpha to his charge, she relayed a change of plans. And instead of the Omega cells, he was guided to the lab.

The humans have been working on a few new drugs. Lady Amanda instructed one of the humans to inject the Alpha with one. Almost immediately the drug took effect. The red eyes of the Alpha widened and his entire body tensed.

"It's time you met your charge, Christos."

The humans led the wound up Alpha to a special cell all the way in the back of the facility, where a very particular Omega laid, crumpled in a broken heap in the far corner.

The humans shoved the Alpha inside after giving him strict instructions, grabbing the attention of the battered Omega.

The Omega watched the Alpha with fear, only to have the Alpha return the look with one of his own. The Alpha was terrified, his instincts were screaming at him, warning him of the threats all around him. When the Omega made a move toward the Alpha in curiosity—noticing the Alpha's fear—the Alpha immediately backed away into a corner, completely petrified.

The Omega raised a brow at the strange reaction, losing his own fear and voicing aloud incredulously, "Are you scared of me?"

The Alpha jumped at the sound of the Omega's voice, trembling in fear.

Though despite being afraid, the Alpha couldn't help but notice how breathtakingly beautiful the Omega was.

Chapter Six

Fear was an incredible thing. It had the power to either immobilize you or set you so far in motion, your mind couldn't catch up to your body. For me, it was the latter.

I shouldn't have been able to move that fast, but the trees were blurring around me. I couldn't stop, not when it was Christos' life on the line. I had to get there in time. I had to.

Once the beat up shed was in view, I cried in relief. I slammed against the wall inside, banging on it until I found the spot that opened the hideout. When the stairs dipped down, I ran, as fast as I could down them, with only one destination in mind. There was no one in the white room, nor were there occupants in the living room.

Please be here.

I ran to their room and knocked on the door incessantly until my hand went numb. Relief washed over me when Kai answered the door, looking confused and slightly annoyed. His emerald green eyes widened when he saw it was me, opening the door and letting me inside.

Drew was running over immediately with surprise and concern twisting his beautiful features. But I could barely see it through the blurriness of my tears.

"Asaiya, what's wrong?" Kai asked.

"Christos!" I choked. "H-he's..." the horrible scene played over and over again. The blood. The rage. So much blood. Oh Goddess!

"What? What's wrong with Christos? Asa snap out of it!" I heard Kai shout.

I blinked back the horrifying scene before trying to explain. "I didn't know he would do that! I didn't know he was there!"

Oh Goddess, why did Asher do that? I've never seen him that way. He was always so calm and so lovingly gentle. Even when he was mad, it was never like that.

"Who, Asa?" Kai demanded. The Alpha hormones in the command made tingles run up my arms and a shiver go down my spine.

"Asher," I whispered brokenly.

And suddenly, Kai was gone.

"I can't believe I did that...this is all my fault..." I cried. I shouldn't have let him get to me, I shouldn't have let any of my walls down. This never would have happened if I had just stayed away. Christos wouldn't be...

"What Asa? What happened?" Drew asked me.

The weight finally became too much and I collapsed. Drew caught me in his arms, and held me tight while the emotions overtook my body. I couldn't stop shaking, stop crying. It was just too much.

"We were just talking at first. I never really got to talk to him, not since I was first taken to the facility," I tried to explain. "It was...nice. And there's something in me...Goddess help me, there is something in me that just...feels. I feel something for him and I can't stop it! And it was just the heat of the moment. The pups were getting rowdy and it hurt. But his hands felt so nice and the pups love him...I just. I couldn't help myself. And then Asher..."

I remembered the feel of Christos' hands on me and his lips on mine. It was the best feeling in the world. His weight on my body, the tenderness in his ruby red eyes. Goddess I wanted more!

"How badly is Christos hurt?" Drew asked, his fingers gently combing through my hair, calming me down a little. But the question itself just brought back even more raw emotions and I couldn't contain the wail of pain that escaped my lips.

The blood.

There was so much blood.

"He wouldn't fight back! No matter what Asher did to him, he wouldn't defend himself! Asher...he-he ripped him apart!"

The scene came flooding back and my friend held me tighter.

"Christos is strong, he won't let this be the end."

I shook my head. Drew didn't understand. He didn't get it. He didn't know how much Christos loathed his existence. I've seen it so clearly, the desire to die was so clear in his eyes.

"You don't understand," I whispered.

"What?" Drew asked in confusion.

"Christos has no desire to live. There is nothing that fuels him to keep fighting. He doesn't care if he dies," I tried to explain.

Drew pulled back to smile at me. "You're wrong about that."

"What?" I choked.

"He does have something to live for...you," my friend told me softly.

My eyes watered again and I cried even more. Drew continued to hold me, gently rocking me in his arms as if I too was one of his pups. "And the pups in your stomach," he continued. "Give him a little credit, Asa."

The door opened again and Kai came into view. He was drenched in blood, the scent so strong it made me nauseous. The sight of Christos cold and lifeless with a pool of blood around him stained my mind and I screamed.

Drew immediately grabbed my head and forced my face into his shoulder while I screamed in agony. His embrace was fierce.

"He's going to be fine! He'll live" I faintly heard Kai say but I didn't register the news. I couldn't. All I could think about was Christos. Dead.

Soon high pitched squeals joined my own.

Drew pulled me up, whispering "Let's go lay you down," and took me to the living room. Melrose and Caleb, two of my Omega friends, came to see what all of the fuss was about. They crowded around me, offering soothing words of comfort but nothing could ease the pain I was feeling. Nothing. Until I felt the strong arms of Drew's mate wrap around me as he gently brushed my hair to the side, pulling my head back to expose my neck and biting down, releasing an incredible wave of hormones that immediately put me sleep. And the last thing I saw...was Christos.