Ten

BE SURE TO READ THE AUTHORS NOTE AT THE END!

Chapter Ten

The bond between Alpha and Omega had finally been mended, only to face the biggest challenge they had ever encountered. As the time passed, the Omega grew weaker, the blood quickly rushing out of his multiple wounds despite the pressure the Alpha applied.

Christos worried more and more as he noticed the rosiness in Asa's cheeks starting to fade. The Omega was panting loudly, trying so hard to stay awake. His eyes fluttered shut every few seconds then popped open as if he didn't remember closing them.

"Chris..." Asa whispered.

The Alpha cradled the Omega's head in his lap carefully, still applying pressure to the wound on his side.

"Do not talk. Save your strength."

"Chris...the pups...are..."

"Asa please, save your strength. The pups will be fine. Sherry is on his way. You will be fine. Everything will be okay." When the Alpha spoke, he sounded calm, but inside, he was feeling anything but.

Christos stroked Asa's hair, trying to comfort him, keeping note of each change in breath, every shift of color his skin took, and any change that signified the Omega's declining state of health.

He was tempted to call Sherry again, but it wouldn't help. He had to be patient and try to keep Asa awake. Sherry told him that he was on his way to perform a C-section since the trauma to Asa's body would prevent him from being able to shift. His concern for his pups were also skyrocketing. It was too early for Asa to give birth. They still had a couple more weeks.

Would the pups be able to survive?

Too often pups didn't survive their litter. Even fully formed they were weak and incredibly vulnerable. It was tearing Christos apart inside.

Christos held Asa's hand.

He was finally able to have a family. Something he was told he would never get and now it was in jeopardy. The irony was stifling. 

Asa began to groan a little. That tingling sensation he felt earlier was morphing into an intense burn. Sharp pains stabbed at his abdomen. It was too much.

"Chris," he whispered, unable to utter the Alpha's full name. His whispers grew more ragged with each painful breath he took. Sweat poured down his pale face, making the deep red locks of his hair blacken with the wetness and stick to his skin.

"Do not speak Asa, save your energy," the Alpha pleaded with him once again.

A weak cough broke from the Omega's lips as he desperately tried to speak.

"It...hurts."

"I know it does, but it will all be over soon, I promise," Christos tried to console Asa but the Omega was clearly skeptical. Asa tried with all of his might to shift into his natural form, the form that allowed him to give birth to his pups, but he lacked the strength. It was as if there was some invisible wall preventing him from it. The frustration and helplessness made him panic.

"Chris...tos...I can't...shift," he wheezed.

"It is okay. Sherry and Talon are on their way. They are going to help you deliver our pups. You will be fine, just be strong and preserve your energy."

Asa's face scrunched up in pain again as he squeezed Christos's hand with all of his might. Christos noted sadly that the grip was weaker than it had been previously. Asa was starting to lose his strength at a dangerous rate.