Chapter 34: Mind Blowing

Marcus and I had a brief stare down. Neither of us spoke. We just stood there, stone faced. Suddenly, Marcus took a step toward me. I quickly took a step back. This awkward game of ours continued until I was reunited with my bound brother. I stood between Marcus and Mark. Marcus reached into his jacket pocket and removed a pair of black gloves. He slowly slipped his meaty hands into them. I was the first to break the silence.

“What are you doing?”

He continued walking our way. “Step aside.”

I aimed the gun at him. “Stop right there.”

Marcus stopped and he laughed. “You ain't gonna shoot me kid. You're not a killer.”

He was right. I wasn't a killer. I aimed past him at the door and fired a warning shot. 'BANG' The bullet buried itself into the solid wooden door. Marcus jumped and took a step back. “Jesus.”

I stared hard into his dark eyes as I aimed the gun back on him. “Don't move.”

Marcus raised his hands, “Okay, okay.” He stood still for a moment. “So, what now?”

“Now, you tell me what's going on.”

Marcus contemplated his options, then he nodded slightly, “Fair enough. Follow me.” He turned and approached the door. He opened it forcefully. He proceeded to walk out.

I called for him. “Hey, where you goin?”

From the hallway he repeated himself, “Follow me.”

I looked back at Mark, unsure if I should follow him. Mark, apparently, wasn't sure either. He shrugged and mumbled, what I understood as, 'I don't know' I sighed deeply and rushed out the door after Marcus.

Entering the hallway, I didn't see Marcus. I hurried to the first intersection and found him. He was about twenty feet ahead of me. “Hey, wait up.” He didn't acknowledge me and continued to walk away. I walked a little faster and caught up to him.

“So, are you going to tell me what the hell is going on. Why is my brother here? Why is he tied up? Why is his head bleeding?”

Marcus looked at me, annoyed. “Chill. I found him snooping around, so I hit him in the head and tied him up.”

“What was he doing here?”

“He came here to kill me.”

“What? Why?”

“Because Jacob wants me dead.”

I was growing tired of the short answers. “Care to explain? Why does Jacob want you dead?”

Suddenly Marcus stopped walking. “Listen kid, I'm in just as deep as you are with Jacob and his Operation. If there is one thing I've learned, when Jacob Scholtz is finished with someone, they don't get to just walk away...he has them taken out. I don't know, maybe Jacob is done with me, now he wants me dead.”

“Can't the FBI do something to save one of their own? Why don't they pull you out?”

“I wish it were that simple. The FBI didn't choose me to go undercover...I volunteered. My son-in-law got caught up in a big mess with Jacob. He borrowed a lot of money and was having trouble paying his debt. So, I went under, but not long after that, Jacob confronted me. He had somehow found out that I was FBI. He killed my son-in-law as a warning and said the same thing would happen to my daughter if I didn't do as he told me. The FBI has no idea that my cover has been blown. Jacob told me to continue to report back to the FBI, as if everything is fine...only, I was given specific orders on exactly what I was to report to them...I feel like a God damn traitor. I've been lying to them for years. Misguiding them, steering them in the wrong direction to keep Jacob protected.”