Chapter 20: Preparation

Jacob wasn't bluffing. The bullets were blanks. He stood back up and smiled at me. He brushed the wrinkles from his shirt and said "I'm glad to see you have the balls enough to pull the trigger."

I stood motionless, the impact of what had just happened, hadn't fully registered.

Jacob walked back to me, reached out and took the gun from my hand. "Danny was right about you." He tucked the weapon in the front of his pants. "You've got heart kid." I assumed Danny, was Officer Healy.

Still, somewhat in shock, I asked, "The bullets, how did you know... ?"

"I knew they were blanks because I loaded the gun myself."

I was more confused than ever. "I don't understand, sir. How did you know I was going to try to steal your briefcase?" The obvious answer eluded me.

Jacob looked me directly in my eyes and dropped a bombshell. "Because, Mr. Wayne, I'm the one who ordered you to steal it." Jacob chuckled, "Everything, the package, the pill, the money, the gun, I set everything up."

I couldn't for the life of me, wrap my mind around this news. My entire life felt like one big lie. Was my name really even Joe?

"I had to test you... I'm proud to say, you passed." Scholtz informed.

"Test me? For what?"

"To see if you're ready for your real assignment."

"Mr. Scholtz, sir, I can't work for you, I'm not cut out for this stuff."

He laughed and said, "Son, working for me isn't a choice. Most of my employees are in the same boat as you. They do what I say... or else! The sooner you learn to accept that, the easier it'll be."

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door. I looked to Jacob. He gave a nod and said "Go ahead, answer it."

Not wanting to turn my back to the criminal known as Jacob Scholtz I walked backward a few steps before turning. I was hesitant to open the door "Who is it?" An unknown visitor was a terrifying thought.

"It's me." Mark spoke in a loud, but humbled voice.

I opened the door for my brother. "Where's Rockie?" I asked.

Mark had a disappointed look and just shook his head. As he stepped in the room, he looked at me and said "Sorry bro." Behind him, the twins followed, both of them, with guns. They looked even bigger up close, each near seven foot. The twins looked bigger than I remember them from the gas station.

The two giants ordered us to back into the room. Jacob acknowledged their presence with a bit of pent up anger. "Ah, Ivan, Nicholas! Would either of you two idiots care to explain to me, how I ended up in this room?"

Neither of the Dragovic's took the liberty of answering that question. They remained silent, guns aimed at Mark and I.

"Oh, put those guns down you morons." Jacob commanded. The obedient guards did as they were told.

Ivan and Nicholas took their positions, to the left and right of and a few steps in front of their boss. They towered over Jacob. Had they stood much closer to each other, Jacob would have vanished from sight.

Jacob looked to Mark and I. "You see, these two have failed me and they know what happens to people who fail me." The two brothers closed their eyes and bowed their heads in shame, as if praying.

Before I knew what had transpired, two gun shots rang out. 'POP - POP' Jacob had pulled the .45 from his waistline and put a bullet in the back of the brother's skulls. Gravity pulled their limp bodies to the floor.