Chapter 13: Room Service

A young black man opened the door. Now was the time for me to act.

"Doc?" The man suspected.

"Yes Rockie?"

"Yeah, come on in." He held the door for me.

Rockie had a very familiar face. I had seen him before. I just couldn't figure out how I knew him. Hopefully he would not recognize me.

"Rockie, I really appreciate this and Mr. Scholtz does too. I usually don't go out of the way for patients like this but Mr. Scholtz is a highly valued client." I played the role smoothly. Or, at least I thought I did.

"Yea, I know what you mean. He stays here at least once a month and he gets treated like royalty."

"Rockie, I was wondering if I could ask you a favor," I looked Rockie in his eyes. "Would I be able to personally deliver Mr. Scholtz's food?" I asked Rockie to break the rules.

"I don't know... only the hotel staff is allowed to deliver food to the guests." Rockie was concerned.

As sternly as I could I said, "Rockie. Mr. Scholtz is a very important man. He is not very trusting of people. I am fortunate enough to be one of the few people he does trust. I need to make sure he takes his medication. I can't stress the importance enough." I held up the pill.

Rockie was quiet for a moment, thinking about it. "What's the medicine for?"

"Rockie, as a doctor I have the complete confidence of my patients to keep their medical information private." I still needed his trust, "But I'll tell you... Mr. Scholtz suffers from Cardio-Hypertensity." I just made up a medical condition. I had no idea if it was a real disease, but it sounded convincing.

"Oh my God, what in the hell is that?" Rockie looked freaked out.

"Cardio-Hypertensity is an abnormality in the hearts rhythms." I convinced Rockie with more BS.

"Is he gonna be alright?"

"He will be fine as long as he gets his medication, which is why I want to personally take him his food. I will make sure he takes the pill." I was beginning to believe my own lies.

"Well, I guess I can do that, I mean, I don't want anything to happen to him." Rockie agreed to let me deliver the food.

"Great, so, is it ready yet?"

"It'll be ready soon. I'll meet you in the lobby by the elevators in five minutes."

"Ok, thank you Rockie, you don't know how much this means to me."

I left the kitchen through the door I had entered and returned to the front revolving doors and went into the lobby. The sight I saw confused me. It was Marcus standing at the front desk talking to the man behind the counter, Benjamin. Marcus was dressed in a flannel shirt, blue jeans and a cowboy hat. Not the mob boss I was used to.

As I walked passed him, he tipped his hat and with a southern twang, he said, "Howdy!" Then return to his conversation with the man behind the counter.

I was curious as to what he was up to, but didn't have time to worry about it. I called Mark to see how the key card heist was going. His phone went to voice mail after the third ring. That had me worried. I went to the elevators and waited.

Moments later, as promised, Rockie met me with the cart of food. I handed him a $100 bill.

Rockie's eyes lit up. "Ah man, thanks doc. A hundred bucks? For real? Thanks, man." He was ecstatic.