Chapter 21: My Friend, My Target

December 10th 2005, 9:56am

I awoke in my bed, alone. I wondered where Sue was. She had fallen asleep next to me the night before. I called her name, loudly enough for her to have heard me from anywhere in the house. She didn’t answer. I sat up and listened. All was silent. I quickly reach for my phone and speed dialed Sues cell. I got a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. My intuition had me fearing the worst. I just knew something bad had happened.

I could hear her cell phone ringing in the front of the house. I leap from the bed, and rushed down the hallway. Sues phone continued to ring. I reached the living room and spotted her phone, sitting on the coffee table, next to her car keys…but no signs of Sue. I checked the kitchen. Nothing.

Sasha sat whining at the front door. I walked over, knelt beside her and gave her a pat, “Hey girl, where’s mommy? Where’s Sue?”

Sasha once again looked to the front door, and whimpered. As I stood, I noticed the deadbolt was not latched…I always locked the deadbolt.

I reached for the door knob, then, someone suddenly knocked. I hesitated, contemplating whether I should go get a weapon, then opened the door anyways. The sight of the person standing on my front step brought with it a feeling of dread…it was the County Police. It was Dan Healy.

Sasha growled a low deep grumble at his sight. Dogs have a great sense, when it comes to the smell of evil. I hushed her, “It's okay Sasha.” I looked to Officer Healy.

“Here!” In his hand he held a 9 X 13 yellow envelope. The sight of the envelope had me sickened, even more so than the sight of Office Healy himself. I didn’t want it, but I reach out to take it. Before I could grab on to it, Officer Healy dropped the envelope onto the front porch, turned a began to walk away.

“Asshole” I muttered, somewhat under my breath.

Officer Healy heard me and stopped. He turned as I was bent over to pick up the envelope. “What was that”?

“Nothing…thanks.” I stood.

He smirked at me and said, “You really should learn to treat people with a little more respect.”

“I’ll try to remember that.” I replied.

Officer Healy turned once again, and continued to his car. I went back inside with the envelope in hand. I sat on the couch, and stared at the envelope for a few moments. It brought back memories from the last package. Fear of the unknown had a strong hold on me. I opened the envelope. As did the first package, this one contained three items. One was a letter, I set it aside. The second object confirmed my intuition that something bad had happened. I really hate it when I’m right. It was a diamond ring… Sues diamond ring.

My chest tightened as if a thousand pounds was crushing the breath from me. I broke out in a cold sweat, shivers soon followed. My trembling hand reached for the letter.

MR. WAYNE, AS YOU MAY HAVE ALREADY FIGURED OUT, WE HAVE YOUR GIRLFRIEND. SHE WILL BE RETURNED SAFELY, AS LONG AS YOU DO WHAT YOU ARE TOLD. ONE OF MY BUSINESS ASSOCIATES, WITH WHOM I HAVE INVESTED A GREAT DEAL OF MONEY INTO, HAS BETRAYED ME. HE WAS GIVEN A FAIR DEAD LINE TO PAY BACK THE MONEY HE WAS LENT. HIS TIME IS UP. AS PER OUR AGREEMENT, YOUR FINAL TASK WILL BE TO HUNT DOWN THIS MAN, AND EXTERMINATE HIM. A PICTURE OF THE MAN HAS BEEN INCLUDED. IT SHOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT FOR YOU TO FIND HIM, OR GET CLOSE TO HIM, BECAUSE YOU KNOW THIS MAN. YOU MUST ACT ALONE. YOUR BROTHER CAN’T HELP YOU THIS TIME.

SINCERELY, - H

As it was the last time, the letter was signed, Sincerely, -H…I wasn’t sure what to make of that. Perhaps Jacob Scholtz wasn’t the one who wrote the letter, or perhaps, it was all part of his mind games. I fished into the envelope and extracted the the third and final item…the picture of my target. Jacob Scholtz, or whomever had written this letter was correct,…I knew the man in the picture. The picture was of my high school friend, Trae Wilson.