Chapter 7: Two Options

Officer Healy told whoever he had called that he would 'be there in ten.' Assuming he had meant minutes, we had arrived in just under seven.

We pulled into a gas station. All of the lights were off and it appeared to have been abandoned. Healy pulled the car around to a three bay garage. One of the three doors was wide open, inviting us to enter.

Three silhouettes stood just inside the opened bay. I could not make out their faces in the darkness. I could only tell the approximate size and weight of the three shadows. Two of them were large; maybe 6 and a half feet tall, 285-300 pounds each. The third man was average height, about 6 feet, roughly 225 pounds.

I had an uneasy feeling that the hell ride I had just experienced was going to seem like a ride at Disney World compared to the punishment I would soon face.

Dan Healy: County Police Officer, Crooked Cop and most recently, Kidnapper, pulled into the open bay. The only light available was from the headlights of the cruiser, but Healy soon shut them off once inside. In total darkness, I kept quiet and listened. All was silent for a few seconds but then the I heard the screeching and grinding of metal upon metal as the bay door was pulled closed.

This sucked! Officer Healy offered a glimpse of light when he open the car door and exited. The darkness returned quickly as he slammed the door shut. As I sat in the pitch black, I could hear the four men talking but I couldn't make out anything they were saying. Their speech was muffled as they seemed to be whispering.

Suddenly, my phone began to vibrate within my pocket. Luckily, I had not turned the ringer back on since leaving my parents' house. I grabbed the phone and cupped my hand over the screen to hide the light.

It was a text from Sue. It read: R U OK?

I quickly sent a return text: Call Mark SOS, GPS.

It was short but Sue would hopefully know what I meant. Hopefully, Sue would call Mark and tell him I was in trouble and Mark would track my phone. Using the GPS feature he could find me... hopefully, if it wasn't too late. When M and M set out for a night of drinking they don't waste any time, they go straight for the shots.

I stuffed the phone in the only hiding place available; my pants. I continued to wait helplessly in the dark. After a few minutes, the rear door opened. One of the larger men grabbed me by the shirt and pulled me from the car. The other large man led the way by flashlight.

We went through an opening in the back of the shop, down a short hallway and stopped at a door labeled: SUPPLIES. The man with the flashlight was careful not to shine the beam of light toward himself or the other man, who by the way, was walking behind me and pushing an uncomfortable object into my spine.

The man before me opened the supply closet, shone the light into the small room and with a thick unfamiliar accent he said, "Get in!"

The man behind me gave a push to my spine with the object and with the same accent he ordered, "Move."

I was in no position to argue or fight back so I entered the room. As the door shut behind me I heard a key enter the knob and lock me safely into my new home. Did I mention this sucked?

Just as the car and service bay, this room offered no light either. I grabbed my phone from the crotch of my pants and flipped it open. The back light from the screen illuminated only a small area but it was better than nothing. I examined my surroundings.

The room was about 6 by 7 foot, with shelving on three walls, only leaving a 3 by 4 foot standing area. The shelves housed rows of boxes; car repair parts, brakes, rotators, struts, belts and a few other parts I didn't recognize. A light fixture with a pull string proved to be useless; somebody forgot to pay the electric bill.