Chapter 12: Stealing, Borrowing, What's the Difference?

I waited a few minutes before leaving the bathroom. My latest run-in with Marcus had left me with a splitting headache. If all of our encounters would end with me in pain, I would have to avoid Marcus at all costs.

I exited the men's room; Marcus was nowhere to be found. I called Mark and told him to meet me on the third floor. I followed the long corridor to the stairs. I would be less likely to encounter anyone in the stairwell, than if I took the elevator.

As I arrived on the third floor I found Mark wandering the hallway; he carried his duffle bag and the bag with the suit.

"Did you see anything?" I asked Mark.

"Yea, I went to the second floor. There were two big guys, they looked like twins, standing just outside the room. They looked like secret service, standing guard over the President."

"Twins? Did they see you?" I hoped not.

"No, they were busy talking to each other in some foreign language." Mark assured.

I was relieved to know they had not seen Mark. Remaining unknown could be useful to the plan.

The hotel floors had a 'T' layout. We found room 314 down the long section of hall way. I swiped the key card and we entered.

I noticed the room was warm; like the air had not been turned on in a while. The second thing I noticed was a shoebox sitting on the bed.

At the sight of the box I had an uneasy feeling. It was a safe bet there were not shoes in it. I opened the box, to reveal a gun. It was a .45 caliber pistol. I didn't know much about guns so Mark took a look. He checked the clip, it held three bullets. I imagined they were meant for Jacob Scholtz and his two guards. I am not fond of guns but I felt safer knowing I had one. I put the weapon in the nightstand drawer next to the bible; my two saviors.

Mark and I went over the plan again. We needed to figure out how to distract the guards when the time was right. We had their phone numbers. They could prove to be useful.

Mark seemed to have recovered from his bout with depression. I didn't want to bring it up, but I needed to know.

"Why did you tell me that story? About the kid, in Iraq?" I risked upsetting him.

He shrugged and looked sad. "I don't know. I just felt like I needed to get it off my chest. I haven't talked to anybody about it, not even Mandy."

"Thanks for trusting me enough to tell me."

Mark fell silent once again. Deep in his thoughts, he was tormented by the horrible memories. To forgive another for their wrongdoings is easy but to forgive oneself, can perhaps, be the most difficult thing to do in life. Mark would not be able to move on with his life until he was able to forgive himself.

Shutting out his thoughts and emotions, Mark stood from his seat. "So what are we gonna do?" He was ready for some action.

"First, I need to go check out the kitchen... figure out how to get this pill in Scholtz's food." I stood as well.

"What do you need me to do?" Mark was eager to keep his mind from lingering on the Iraq incident.

"While I'm gone, I need you to contact housekeeping. Get them up here and tell the maid we need fresh towels or something. When they're not looking, try to get her keycard. Give her a big tip; it'll distract her while you grab it." My plan was slowly taking shape. I handed Mark five, one hundred dollar bills.

"$500?" Mark was in disbelief.

"You don't have to give her all of it, just enough to surprise her and then take the card."