Chapter 15: Marcus, Round Three

As I turned to examine the rest of the room the butt of a gun split my forehead. I fell backwards and landed hard on my back. I couldn't focus as my eyes crossed were from the pain. Blood tickled down my forehead into my right eye. Everything was a blur.

A large set of hands grabbed me, picked me up from the floor and tossed me onto the bed.

"What are you doing in here?" A loud, angry voice questioned.

I wiped the blood from my eyes with the bed sheets. My focus slowly realigned to reveal my worst nightmare: Marcus... naked. I wished my vision was blurred again. Apparently I had interrupted him as he was about to take a shower.

"What are you doing in my room, boy?" Marcus repeated, angrily.

"Your help! I need." My words came out scrambled.

Marcus stood before me nude, he laughed. "What did I tell you earlier? I am not here to help you!"

"I know, I know, but, we need a distraction... the bodyguards, need to be distracted... please." I pleaded with Marcus.

Marcus looked down at me with pity and he sighed. With a disappointed look he shook his head, turned and walked into the bathroom. He returned with a towel around his waist... thank God and his cowboy hat on. He tossed me a small hand towel and in his country accent said, "I reckon you'd better get yourself cleaned up if we're gonna be partners." The friendly cowboy returned.

November 27th 2005 12:19pm

Marcus sent me on my way. He promising he would meet me in the lobby in fifteen minutes. My latest encounter with Marcus had proved to be as painful as any. I held pressure to the wound with the hand towel. The bleeding had just about stopped by the time I returned to room 637.

Upon entering the room, Mark was sitting on the bed, holding his cell phone to his ear. He wasn't talking. And then,

"Listen, I will make it up to you. But right now, I have some things to take care of. I'll call you in a little while." Mark ended the call, shook his head and said, "Women."

"Who was that?" I wondered.

Mark looked pissed, "Mandy!"

Again, I wondered, "You didn't tell her anything, did you?"

Mark just shook his head. The last thing we needed was for Mandy to get involved.

Mark explained, "Mandy's freaking out because when she woke up today I was already gone. We had plans to go car shopping this afternoon. She has been buggin me to get a new car since June."

I was silent, waiting for Mark to finish venting.

"She doesn't believe I'm out with you. She actually accused me of cheating on her. It didn't help matters much, when she asked me to put you on the phone and you weren't here."

"Well, if you need me to vouch for you... " I started.

"Don't worry about it... she'll get over it." Mark brushed off her anger. Mark noticed my newest wound, "What happened to your head?"

"Marcus happened." I patted the gash with the towel again. "But, he said he would help."

"What's the plan?" Mark couldn't sit still. He stood up only to sit again, seconds later.

"I don't know. I have to meet Marcus in the lobby in a few minutes."

The lunch delivery had been made about a half an hour ago. Assuming Jacob Scholtz had eaten right away, he should be asleep by now. Our clock was ticking rapidly toward our deadline. We had to get the bodyguards away from the door, get in the room, get the briefcase and get out before the guards returned.