Chapter 4: Spooked

The brunette with five kids had not written the threat. I thought perhaps I had been wrong in assuming the young woman was single. Maybe her husband or boyfriend mistook the generous offering as a come on to the woman. But still, how could he have found me and so quickly. I hadn't been followed, at least, I hadn't noticed.

I quickly stuffed the shredded pieces of cash into my pocket. Sue questioned the meaning of the money. I told her about the woman and her kids at the mall and how I gave her $50.

She yelled, "You what?" Sue was angry with me for being too giving.

I pleaded my case, "I felt bad for her kids. They were hungry."

Sue forgave me easily, "Well, someone doesn't seem to think she needs or deserves the money."

We hopped in Sue's car and started toward her house. She only lived three miles from me in a nice townhouse neighborhood. During the ride over, I couldn't help but think about the threatening note.

Questions ripped through my mind. Who wrote the note? What kind of trouble has this woman got herself into? If given the chance, would I dare help her again?

Traffic had died down a little since my drive home earlier. It was nearly 5:00pm when we reached Sues house.

Sue grabbed her house keys kissed me and said, "Be back in five minutes." She left the car running and the A/C on.

Left alone in the car with only my thoughts to occupy me I turned the radio on. I tuned in to a local rock station, DC 101. It always proved to have the best variety and it would help me keep my thoughts at bay. Sitting for only about 3 minutes I listened to, "Today" by the Smashing Pumpkins. As the lead singer wailed in the background, my thoughts once again had full control of me. I gave in to my minds peer pressure; I opened the death threat again and read it over and over.

I retraced my steps through the day: My walk through the mall, sitting on the bench, watching shoppers, following the woman and her kids, handing her the money, my walk through the parking lot to my car ... WAIT!

I had not come into contact with anyone, but there was that one man that was leaning against a car, staring at me; the man that was eating sunflower seeds. As I crossed the vast lot of cars, I wasn't paying close attention to my surroundings as I was preoccupied thinking about the woman.

The large man wore a dark suit. He reminded me of the typical mob boss. He appeared to be mid-forties with a tan complexion. He had a broad chest and a thick neck, but he did not appear to be overweight. I recall he was looking in my direction but his sunglasses lent doubt as to whether he was looking at me or not.

The more I thought about it the more I was sure. He was watching me and he didn't look happy. He must have seen me hand the woman the money and he must have seen my vehicle. But that still doesn't explain how the man could have found me. I was not followed home. My mind raced as I sat thinking when suddenly it came to me. I realized how he must have found me.

"Oh, Shit!" I blurted out as the revelation came to me. I jumped out of the car and rushed to Sue's front door.

My mind works in strange ways sometimes. I had convinced myself that the mob boss must have taken my license plate number as I drove from the mall. Perhaps by pulling a few strings, maybe through friends at the DMV, he was able to get my home address.

My biggest concern now was that this man had taken Sue's license plate number, while her car sat in my driveway. What if he's in her house right now?

I opened the door to Sue's house. It was quiet... too quiet. I stepped into the foyer, half expecting to be clubbed from behind. The living room was compact. It only displayed a sofa, loveseat, cocktail table and a TV on a stand. There was nowhere to hide. I checked the kitchen, only the pantry could provide cover to an unwanted guest. I cautiously pulled the door to the pantry open... nothing.

I stopped and listened. The silence played tricks on my ears with imaginary whispers. I made my way to the stairs and began my climb to the second floor. Upon my arrival to the upstairs landing I heard a low, deep grumble. My heart was pounding and my legs were shaking. I turn to see the source. It was Sasha, Sues German Sheppard. I let out a sigh of relief and gave Sasha a pat; the guard dog licked her chops, whined a little and then ran down the steps to the first floor.

The upstairs had four doors just off of the hallway. The first was an office, only a computer desk and a bookshelf. With a quick peek into the room, I found nothing.

The next room was a guest bedroom. It only held a bed, nightstand and dresser. I looked under the bed and in the closet. Again, my search was a bust.

Behind the third door, a full bathroom found no place to hide as the shower curtain was pulled wide open.

The final room to check was Sue's bedroom. The door was opened and the light was on. I entered quietly. The bed to my left was left unmade. There was a comforter crumpled at the foot. I didn't bother looking under the bed because it was a waterbed. Its base was resting heavily on the floor.

Sue was in the master bathroom in front of the mirror, brushing her silk-like hair. She saw my reflection in the mirrors eye.

"What's the matter? You couldn't wait five minutes?" Sue smiled. She hadn't realized I was snooping.

I played it off. "You know me." I gave a fake chuckle. I could not let Sue know I suspected an intruder may be lurking. I passed by the bathroom door and checked in the large walk-in closet. Nothing.

Although my search was not as thorough as I would have liked, I felt assured that nobody had been there. I sat on the unstable bed and bobbed around for a moment while waiting for Sue.

Sue finished her grooming and exited the bathroom. She looked hot. She wore a black skirt that landed just above the knees and a royal blue tank top with spaghetti straps. She approached me as I sat on her bed. I grabbed her by the waste, pulled her on top me and we made out. I was careful not to mess up her perfectly brush hair.

After a few fun filled minutes of making waves, we were suddenly interrupted by a series of vicious barks and growls. Sasha! I leapt from the vertiginous bed and raced to the stairs. Sue hadn't even made it out of her room before I was on the first floor.

Sasha was rabid; snarling and scratching at the front window. I peered out to the street; the only movement was a black sedan leaving the neighborhood. Sue finally joined me.

"What going on?" Sue asked for the scoop.

"Something or someone spooked Sasha." I didn't tell Sue that I was also spooked. Nor did I tell her about the fleeing black sedan.

Sue knelt to Sasha, hugged her around her neck and gave praise for being a good watch dog.

"We better get going. We wouldn't want to keep your mother waiting." Sue sounded irritated, probably because she had her heart set on shopping and my mother's dinner plans interfered.

We left Sues house. As she was locking the door, I saw what had attracted Sasha's attention. The windshield of Sue's car was busted. A large crack, spider webbed in all directions from the center. Sue turned from the door and noticed the damage immediately.

"What the hell... " Sue cursed, "son-of-a-bitch." Profanities spewed from her lips. She proceeded to get a closer look.

I tried to calm her, "It was probably just some kids or something." I had not convinced myself. I had doubts it convinced her.

Sue continued her rant, "When I find out who did this I'll rip their nuts off!"

The tone of her voice made me wince and grab my manhood for protection. A folded piece of paper sat under her wiper blade... another note.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VOTE, FAN AND COMMENT PLEASE.