Chapter 41: Headshot

December 11th 2005  5:46pm

So far, Brandy Page had proven to be trustworthy...at least, she hadn't given me a reason to not trust her...yet.  I hoped she'd keep her end of our bargain.  It seemed she was willing do anything, in order to achieve her goals...possibly even stab me in the back.

As I walked quickly down the hall, in the distance I could hear the sound of Trae's voice echoing through the air...the seminar was under way.  It was urgent that I returned to my post, high in the scaffolding, but I had one stop I needed to make before going back to the auditorium. 

I returned to the hall where I had left a blood trail.  When I made it to the hallway, I almost didn't recognize it.  The walls and floors had been wiped clean...like nothing had ever happened.  I stood, staring at the spotless corridor, wondering if I had imagined it all.  I thought maybe I had suffered a minor concussion, or maybe I was just confused.  One look at my hands answered my doubts; they were stained red, and there was dried blood crusted allover my clothes.   

I proceeded slowly.  I was anticipating an encounter with one of Jacob's men.  Whomever he had assigned to clean the hallway, might still be lurking.

I edged up to the corner of an intersection and peeked around.  My heart was thudding like mad. Thankfully, the coast was clear...when suddenly, somebody tapped my shoulder.  I nearly let a scream escape.  

It was Brandy.  “You lost?  The auditorium is the other way.”

I was relieved it wasn't anyone else.  “I know.  I need to check something out first.”

“What?”

I didn't really feel like explaining everything.  “I-I'm not sure...”

Brandy was interested, “Mind if I tag along?”

“Follow me.”  I rounded the corner and proceeded to the end of the hall; to the room where the death match between my brother and Albert had taken place.

The door was shut.  I slowly opened it...Spotless.  I thought to myself, 'Jacob must have the fastest maids this side of the border.'  I was very impressed.  It was hard to believe that such a bloody mess was here just a short while ago.  I entered the room and Brandy followed.  I closed the door.

I gave Brandy some instructions.  “Okay, check the walls, the floor, the ceiling...everything.  Look for a bullet hole.”

Brandy had a curious look, “A bullet hole?  O-kay.”  She started searching the walls first.  Almost immediately she found the bullet hole I had made, in the back of the door.  "Here."  She pointed.

I looked excitedly, but then remembered, "Not that one...I put that one there, earlier when Albert came in to get Mark.  Keep looking,"

I started checking the floor.  My logical side thought that since Albert had fired the weapon and Mark didn't have any new wounds, then the shot must have been aimed at the wall or floor.  Somewhere in that room, I was expecting to find evidence of gun fire.  

Methodically, we searched every square inch of that room and found absolutely nothing.  I was becoming frustrated...it wasn't adding up.

Brandy stopped looking and wondered, “You mind if I ask why we're looking for a bullet hole?”

“Albert fired a gun in this room...Mark was the only one in here with him, and he doesn't have any new wounds.”

“Are you sure Albert fired the gun?”

“Seconds after the shot, I came in the room.  Both of them were on the ground and the gun was in Albert's hand.”

“Maybe Mark shot Albert, and then put the gun in his hand.”