Chapter 40: Two of a Kind

I sat at the table, thinking in awe about the suggested powers that the super computer might possess. Technology like this, is something that was only imagined in movies; set in the distant future. Was the world that close to making those visions become a reality? Freaky.

I'm not quite sure how long I sat there thinking to myself, but when I snapped back to reality, Brandy was sitting across the table from me, just staring.

She seemed to understand how I felt. “It's a lot to process, I know, but...this could be my only chance to put my life back together. If I can avenge my partners death, then maybe I will finally be able to have some closure...a little, peace of mind.” I nodded in agreement. Even as crazy as the idea sounded, Brandy still needed to have hope. If there's no hope, then what's the point of living?

Brandy was right; we both wanted justice. “I think we can help each other.”

She narrowed her eyes at me. “How so?”

“I've spoken to IRIS. She asked me for help...she wants the contents of Jacob's briefcase too.”

Brandy had a baffled look, “What do you mean, you've 'spoken to IRIS'? It can talk?”

“Yeah. It's kinda weird, but,...yes, she can talk.”

“What does it want with Jacob's briefcase?”

“Supposedly, there's some kind of microchip that IRIS needs in order to...”

“In order to what, Joe?”

“...be free...whatever that means.”

“So the chip, it can somehow, unleash IRIS' full potential?”

“I don't know, something like that.”

Now it was Brandy that sat quietly, wondering about the mystery of Jacob's secret computer. Her face suggested disbelief, which I completely understood. IRIS is one of those things that you needed to see, in order to believe.

I interrupted her thoughts. “I'll help you get the chip from Jacob.”

Brandy's eyes drifted back to mine, “...and what is it that you need my help with?”

“Just help me get my family back...safely.”

Brandy thought for a second, then nodded and stood up. “Come with me.”

We left the room and Brandy lead me to another hallway, then another. “Where are going?”

Brandy shushed me, and proceeded quietly along the corridor. She peeked around corners cautiously and once it was believed to be clear, we continued to the next hallway.

Brandy promised, “Mark's down here.”

I was filled with anticipation. I couldn't wait, just to see my brother, alive. After Albert and Mark's battle, I didn't think I'd see him ever again.

Brandy stopped at a door and eased it open. She peeked inside before opening the door completely. “Come on.”

I entered the room and felt immediate relief. Mark was alive, just as Brandy had told me. He was sitting up, on a table; his head hanging. His eyes were closed, and he was clenching his fists tightly.

Along with my brother, there was another man in the room. He was lying on the floor...it wasn't Albert. I looked to Brandy, “Who is that?”

Brandy shrugged, “Security guard...probably one of Jacob's men...I don't know. I followed him to this room. He was guarding the door and I wanted to know why.”

I stared down at the unknown man. He didn't appear to be moving at all, not even his chest. “Is he dead?”

Brandy didn't hesitate answering, “Yes. I broke his neck.”