Chapter 7: How Badass?

How Badass?

"I'm really sorry, Mrs. Rodriguez," Nathan apologizes, as he stands outside the door with his mom beside him.

"It's fine, my dear," my mom says. "I could get it fixed."

Mrs. Adams nudges Nathan with her shoulder and he sighs. "And, I could help around the house for a week to make up for it."

"Oh no, you don't have to do that. It's fine," my mom insists.

"See, Mom. It's fine. Let's go now," Nathan says quickly, taking his mom's hand and dragging her away.

"Oh, bye! See you later," Mrs. Adams calls out, as her son leads her home. I watch as they enter their house and close the door.

     I laugh quietly to myself as my mom shuts the door. "That boy is something," she says smiling.

     "Yea, something," I mumble.

"Well, let's go check your window again. I hope no cold air will get into your room tonight," she says.

~

Thankfully, my window was just a cracked window, so I got to sleep in my room.

By sleep, I mean staying up all night on my phone, because today is Friday.

I'm scrolling through Instagram photos when my phone starts to ring. And it's an unknown number.

I answer it anyway.

"Hello?" I ask tiredly. "May I know who's speaking?"

"This is Nathan Adams speaking, Ms. Rodriguez."

Quickly, I sit up in bed. "How the hell do you have my number?"

I hear someone softly knock on my door. "Anak, you're still awake?"

"Sorry, Mama," I reply. "I'm just on the phone with a friend."

"Don't be up too late. Goodnight," she says, as I hear her footsteps walk away from my door.

"How do you have my number?" I repeat to the phone.

"Bella," he simply replies.

I run my fingers through my hair. "Well, what do you want?"

"I was just wondering if you wanna come over tomorrow. If you're not busy," he says.

"Why?"

"My mom is going to her cousin's wedding tomorrow morning, and she won't be back 'till Sunday afternoon."

"I thought I only babysit from Mondays to Thursdays," I say tiredly.

He laughs softly. "You don't have to babysit. You're just coming over to have fun."

"With who?" I sigh.

"My friends, my sister, and me."