Chapter 17: My Heart Keeps Beating Faster

My Heart Keeps Beating Faster

♠️Nathan's P.O.V.♠️

I hear my sister faintly laughing downstairs, causing my eyes to flutter open. I check my phone beside me, reminding me it's Friday night.

Sleepily, I make my way downstairs. My mom is cooking in the kitchen, while Ella is enjoying a SpongeBob episode.

I'm trying to understand why they're still awake, because it's almost morning.

"Ella you should go to bed," I tell her, shutting of the TV. She looks at me and pouts, then makes her way upstairs.

I walk over to my mom. "It's late, Mom. Why're you still awake?" I ask her, rubbing her back.

She turns around and faces me with a small smile. "Could throw out the trash for me?"

I just stare at her for a moment, before nodding my head. "Oh. Yea sure, Mom."

I grab the bag out of the trash can, then turn to my mother. "Promise you'll go to sleep while I throw this out."

With a grin on her face, she shakes her head lightly. "Don't worry. Don't worry. I'm going to bed," she says.

I head out the front door, making my way to the trash bin in front of our house. I throw it into the bin. I glance upward, and notice a sky full of stars above me.

"Wow," I whisper to myself. Then my eyes land on the Rodriguez house. And I swear I think I see someone sitting in the front yard. Whoever it is, they seem to stare in awe at the sky, too.

Curious, I walk closer. I take note that the person has their long dark hair out, swaying in the wind, reminding me of one person. "Opal?" I call out, trying not to sound too loud. People are probably sleeping.

The person glances at my direction, then gestures me to come over.

I jog across the street. Opal's face is recognizable as I walk closer. She seems to be wearing an over-sized pink shirt and grey sweatpants. And for some reason, I find her breathtaking.

"Hi," she says softly, a cold breeze flowing through her hair, reminding me of Pocahontas. She pats the space beside her, motioning for me to sit.

I sit down beside her. "Why are you outside?"

She stares at me, and then glances up at the sky. "Look at all the stars," she whispers in awe.

But I'm not looking at the stars. My eyes stay on her. I find myself smiling, as I notice her trying to count them all.

"Aren't you sleepy, Opal?" I ask her, before letting out a yawn.

She let's out a laugh. "Not at all," she replies.

I found my heart beating faster at the sound of her laugh, but I ignore it.

"Really?" I ask teasingly, poking her side, causing her to flinch.

"Oh my gosh, Nathan stop," She laughs, as poke her again.

I start tickling her, and that's when she stood up and started to run.

So I ran after her.

All you could hear in this silent night, is our laughs and the sound of the breeze blowing softly onto the trees.

She finally seems to be slowing down, and I take the opportunity to catch her. I wrap my arms around her waist from behind her, and we fall on the grass. My face hovers over Opal, my hands are on each side of her. I've basically trapped her, and she's still laughing. We're breathing heavily, but there's huge smiles on our faces.

"Wow, you're fast," I breathe.

She smiles proudly. "I know."

I smirk at her. "But I still caught you," I tell her teasingly.

She's staring into my eyes, and feel my heart beating faster than it already is. "I know," she replies, still trying to catch her breath.

I stare down at her, her hair displayed beautifully on the grass. The moon and the stars gave her features a soft glow. She almost looked like a goddess.

She notices me staring, and her hand immediately covers her left cheek. "What's on my face?" She asks, sounding worried.

I smile at her and gently move her hand away. I don't respond to her question. Instead, I lean down and place my lips on hers.

She kisses me back, when I feel someone grab my leg.

I quickly open my eyes.

"Nathan! Get up!" My sister screams at me. I frantically look at my surroundings, noticing I'm in my bedroom. The sun is shining through my windows.

My heart is still beating fast.

"Nathan!" Ella screams again, pulling at my leg.

I sit up. "What?"

She quickly looks at me and places her small hand on her chest. "I thought you were dead."

Then she gives me a toothy grin. "My tooth came out, Nathan," she says excitedly.

I smile at her excitement. "Wow. So you're a big girl now, huh?"

She places her hands on her hips. "Yep," she replies proudly.

I glance outside my window, getting a perfect view of the Rodriguez house. I let out a sigh.

Then I get up from bed and carry Ella in my arms. "Let's go eat breakfast," I say, walking down the stairs.

_________________________

A/N: Hi 😄. Idk why but I'm happy. Maybe because it's King Jr.'s Day 😌

But I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter. AND I HOPE I DIDNT MESS WITH YOUR FEELINGS BUT IF I DID IM SORRY

if you didn't like the chapter, that's fine too 😅

But leave feedback if you can and I love you guys 💓

AND I hope you don't mind if you can check my new book, Smoothie. 😊😊

See you in the next chapter

-Holly Osgood ❤️

•if you enjoyed it•
•don't forget to vote•