Chapter 3: Obviously, You Don't Want To Stick Around

It was just another ordinary day as I straightened my hair. Anticipating for night to come already. I got dressed in grey washed out skinny jeans. As I pulled my black off the shoulder top over my head I just thought about hoe slow this day would go by.

How slow & boring it'll pass by. When did life get so difficult?

I slipped on black flats & placed the bright red lipstick on the corner of my lips.

Dragging it across repeatedly across all of my lips, like I usually do.

I heard the beeping from the disgusting yellow bus outside, waiting for me.

I groaned & grabbed my red Jansport bookbag, letting it hang off one shoulder. I ran downstairs, took a nature valley bar, & went outside. As I made my way into the bus I smiled at the sight of Nate, sitting there.

I sat next to him. He looked dead.

"I can't believe it's only Tuesday. I want to get this day over with." he groaned, placing his hoodie over his head.

"You're not the only one." I answered, taking a bite out of my nature valley.

About 1,000 crumbs scattered upon the both of us.

"What the hell? Why does that have so many damn crumbs? It irritates me." Nate sighed, scrunching his nose.

"Well hello Mr.Grumpy." I remarked sarcastically, rolling my eyes.

He glared at me, taking out his earphones, putting his volume up at maximum, turning his head in the opposite direction and leaning against the window.

Well, this will be quite a day.

••••••••••

Language arts? Boring.

Science? Bad.

Civics? Terrible.

Lunch? Not good, especially because Nate was so grouchy & tired.

Gym? Horrific.

Math? My god, don't get me started.

The sound of the bell dismissing us was like music to my ears.

I eagerly walked out of the classroom, going to Nate's locker, waiting for him.

I saw him in the distance. Once he got to me he had a smile on his face.

"I don't wanna go home." he said.

"When did you get so happy?"

"I slept last period. I feel new. Let's go to that forest. The one we used to hang out in when we were in 5th."

I gasped, I totally forgot about that forest!

"YES!" I clapped.

We walked all the way there. Once we got there I felt a whole bunch of memories just pile onto me.

We sat down on the grass.

We began to talk about all the memories we had here while tossing gummy bears into eachother's mouth.

Nate layed down, resting his hands under his head.

"Al."

"Hm?" I continued to chew on the last gummy bear.

"Let's leave." he said, half smiling.

"What are you talking about Nate?" I asked, looking at him like he just spoke Chinese.

"Let's drop out of high school. Leave this place. Leave this town. Together." He answered, his eyes sparkling with amusement.

I stared at him like he was crazy.

"That's not a smart thing to do Nate."

His smile faded & the glint in his eyes left.

"Why not?"

"It's only our 1st year of highschool Nate.... Don't you wanna make something of yourself? Go to college. Get a career. I know we hate this place, I understand. But, we'll do. We'll do Nate." I replied.

He instantly sat up. "You're just too scared." he said rudely.

I felt offended.

"You're scared of EVERYTHING Alice. & I can honestly say that I feel bad for you. You never want to try something new. You NEVER want to even CONSIDER trying something new. You always have to play by the rules. ALWAYS have to be the 'good girl'. Shit. If it was'nt for me, god knows where you would be. What you would be doing. Probably inside all day reading or something. Well I'll tell you what Greyson..." He paused, trying to calm down.

"I could care LESS if you came with me or what. I don't know about you! BUT IM LEAVING THIS PLACE. The only thing holding me back is YOU. Screw YOU. I can live without you. & I WILL. Keep this memory forever. Because it'll be the last one you'll have of me." he stood up, putting on his bookbag.

He began to walk away. Tears starter to flood in my eyes. My mascara running down my cheeks.

He stopped dead in his tracks & turned around.

"Don't expect to see me tomorrow." he said, then began to walk again.

I layed down on the grass. Curling up like a ball. I sobbed & I sobbed, for hours. The ants & other insects crawled on & off every part of my body. But I didn't care. I didn't care about anything.

I was frightened. I was hurt. I didn't know what to expect. This was the first fight we've ever had.

"No Nate. No." I sobbed. "You can't just leave like that."

What am I going to do with myself?