Chapter Six

Chapter Six

A few days later, all our thoughts were agitated when William Law told Father that he heard the forty policemen were secretly sworn by Uncle Joseph to put him out of the way in three months! We were all aghast to think that our own neighbor would say such a thing. Uncle Joseph would never want to kill an enemy, much less Brother Law, who was his neighbor and friend! Lorin was right: no good thing could come of all the gossip and speculation that were rife in the city. When such a man as William Law was suspect, it was taking things way too far. Gossip is the seed of all evil and ought to be put down.

William Law was second counselor in the First Presidency, an officer in the Nauvoo Legion, and a prominent businessman in Nauvoo. His son Richard was in our home or the Mansion every day playing with my brother John, his cousin Joseph, and Lorin’s brother, Henry. His wife borrowed eggs from us and nursed us with raspberry tea when we were sick. Uncle Joseph would never even think such a thing of William Law. Neither could we. However, it did explain the Laws’ absence at the meeting on Saturday night.

By Wednesday, William Law and Uncle Joseph were in court over the situation. After living through betrayals at Kirtland, Independence, and Far West, Uncle Joseph was going to stop the problem with legal evidence before it grew. But it just didn’t stop growing.

“All the parties parted as friends, on the surface,” explained Father during dinner that evening after the younger ones had been dismissed. “But actually, this is serious. William has broken his covenants.”

“What do you mean, Papa?” I asked, putting my fork down.

“The covenants of the temple have been given only to the leaders of the Church, and Brother Law has broken his. I am not at liberty to reveal details, daughter, but when I say this, your mother and Aunt Mercy understand.”

I wondered how serious it was as I prepared for bed that night. Lorin had not come to visit me that day. I had not even seen him out the window. I suspected there was a great deal of excitement over the Laws at the Mansion.

My suspicions proved well founded. The next afternoon, Emily and Eliza Partridge were at my door in a most dreadful state. They looked as if they had been crying for several days, for their faces were mottled and bloated. I once read that red eyes caused by anything but grief or its kindred were scandalous-looking affairs. I hoped their red eyes were not caused by grief and was smitten with remorse, for in my first throes of love I had scarcely given thought to feminine company.

“Oh, Lovina!” they fell upon me, their tears soaking into my apron. “We h-have to leave Nauvoo.”

“What is this? It isn’t possible,” I replied in disbelief, pushing them away from me so I could read their faces.

“’Tis only too true. Such evil has befallen us,” they wailed.

At all the commotion the family came running. It seemed that Mother and Aunt Mercy were aware of the circumstances – and I, their dearest friend, was not! What kind of a friend was I? The two girls flew to the comfort of Mother’s and Aunt Mercy’s arms and wept for what seemed to me, in my bewilderment, and unendurable length of time.

“Girls!” said my brother John in disgust. He left the room, taking Joseph F. with him. “Are they going to be all right Mama?” my little sister Sarah asked. She was tugging at Mother’s skirts. As Mother was busy, I took her up in my arms.

Mother comforted Eliza and Emily, saying, “There, there, it will all come out right in the end. The Lord at times sees fit to try us to our utmost.”

“Happy times will come again when this passes,” Aunt Mercy added.

“I don’t see how!” cried Emily, dabbing at her eyes with her wet handkerchief.