Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

The next morning Mother and Aunt Mercy brought out my hope chest. Regrettably, it was only half full. Much work lay ahead for me before I could be married. A girl needed a good supply of everything – bed linens, towels, dresses for day and evening, undergarments, gloves, hats, shoes, and most important, a wedding dress.

“Whatever ails you, girl?” Mother asked when I stopped looking at our fabric and stared into the corner. I was not showing the proper enthusiasm for the enterprise.

I burst into tears. As it was a warm day, Aunt Mercy bundled up the children and sent the out to play in the yard so we could talk undisturbed and privately.

They both sat down firmly before me. “Now we’ll hear about it,” said Mother. “Is it that you don’t wish to marry the young man? No one is forcing you.”

I confessed, “Its Lorin. I don’t know if he loves me!”

“He asked you to marry him, didn’t he? What more evidence can you ask, save an angel from heaven?” asked Mother, throwing up her hands in exasperation.

I sniffled and answered, “He only did so because he was commanded to.”

Aunt Mercy came over to me and placed her arm about my shoulders. “Why, that’s the best reason of all. Mary and your father married for the same reason, and look at all the happiness their union has brought to your home. Did you think your father was ready to marry so soon after the death of Jerusha? Yet he obeyed the Lord and gave you a mother.”

I looked up and asked, “Did you not mind, Mother?”

She answered firmly, “I very soon had him loving me because it was right. And he still loves me and honors me. A command of the eternal God is a much surer foundation than all your frivolous notions of falling in love.”

Aunt Mercy comforted, “All will be well, Lovina. You’ll see. There is always happiness in obedience to the Lord.”

I was not sure and remained silent. What if Lorin only married me to please the Lord? What if he didn’t love me? What if he grew to resent me? What if we lived throughout eternity unhappily?

“What you need is some time alone with that young man!” said Aunt Mercy. Bless her, she understood! “Why, I remember having the same doubts when I was promised to Brother Thompson. Every young couple need time to court and to plan. You have not had a moment.”

I agreed. “That’s true. Nary a word have we spoken since before his illness!”

Mother rose from her chair and found paper and a quill. “You write that young man a note and command him to take you out in the carriage. When you get him into it, make him take you clear out to the prairie and then stop. You’ll soon have him talking of love. Mind you, stick to talking, though.”

“Mother!”

“Though you may not believe it, I was once young and had one or two beaus in England,” she said with a girlish smile.

“I remember that,” said Aunt Mercy.

I liked the idea. But was it safe? Since I had heard of Jackson’s boast to steal me away, I was afraid to leave the house. “But what about the threat of Mr. Jackson?” I asked.

“I said the prairie, not the river. He threatened to take you away in a skiff. Besides, you’ll be with Lorin.”

I would be alone with Lorin! I began to jump up and down and ran about the room exuberantly. Would he go? Would he indeed take me out to the prairie? Would he speak the words I longed to hear? Perhaps!