Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

Lucy was my lifeline that week. She came almost hourly with a report on Lorin’s progress. It was slow. Indeed, I hardly noticed that Joseph Jackson came to call each evening during the week that followed the second cotillion. True to his word, Father took him into his study or out with him on business. If Father was not home, Mr. Jackson was soon smothered by my sisters and brothers and womenfolk. We spake nary a word together. I was blessedly left in peace with my private concerns and tender moods.

Even the electrifying, sensational new that my own Uncle Joseph Smith had become a candidate for President of the United States did not move me to joy or relieve my anxiety for Lorin, though the news lighted the town like a prairie fire. “Now we will get redress from Missouri!” “The Prophet will set ‘em all straight in Washington!” “Just think how this will spread the gospel abroad throughout the land!” “Now we’ll see how America takes to the true gospel of Jesus Christ!” “We will set up a standard to the nations of the earth – a model of true democracy!” “May Nauvoo become the empire seat of government!” And many more such comments were made by the well-wishers and visitors who came to call at our house.

Among the callers, early the day after the announcement, when Lorin had been sick one full week, Joseph Jackson came – in this instance for the purpose of a private interview with my father.

I had at one time bemoaned those suitors who besought shirt-tail salvation by means of marriage to me. And now Father said that I had one who sought shirt-tail sensationalism through marriage to me! For verily, the worldly, debonair, never-to-settle-down Joseph Jackson sought my hand in marriage. This phenomenon took me so much by surprise that I was at last shaken from my lethargy and concern for Lorin! I shook my head and wondered what had come over Jackson? I had given him little reason to believe I felt affection for him or that our viewpoints were compatible. And surely he was not overtaken by my supposed charms to the extent that he would end his wandering and bind his destiny to mine. His feeling could not possibly be that strong or be based on love or affection, for they had proved to have no lasting value in the case of Eliza. His motivation could only be his desire for consequence.

My father, when he had time to devote to my inquiries, made me privy to the fact that  Joseph Jackson had not only asked for my hand, but had threatened my father with revenge at his refusal! My, he was determined! I confess that for a few weak moments I felt it most gratifying to be wanted to such a degree, even if not for love; for Mr. Jackson was an educated, handsome, and exceptionally well-dressed man, and had never before offered for a female. But on the whole, his interest proved most worrisome. I had never thought for a moment that our scheme to divert him from Eliza would work so thoroughly.

Later that day, when Lucy came to make her daily report on Lorin’s progress, she had much news to impart. She took off her bonnet and pelisse and told me that Joseph Jackson had gone to Uncle Joseph for the purpose of persuading him to override my father’s denial of his suit! Again Mr. Jackson hadn’t taken a refusal with grace – and Uncle Joseph had gained a new enemy.

And here was poor Lorin, lying in bed so sick that he could not even be told!

“Would that he could avenge you!” Lucy cried.

“For what reason?” I asked her.

“It is said that you encouraged Mr. Jackson.”

I sat down in a chair and stared at my friend in wonderment for a few moments. “I? Nothing I have done has been beyond the bounds of ordinary courtesy.”

Lucy sat across from me. “It is also whispered that Lorin has not quinsy, but was poisoned.”

My jaw dropped. Then I declared, “Poisoned? Whoever would poison Lorin? He has not an enemy in all the world.”