Chapter Twenty-nine

Chapter Twenty-nine

“You have taken one another by the right hand in token of the covenants you will now enter into in the presence of God and these witnesses,” said Father as we stood before him amongst our piles of packing in the family kitchen. Lorin wore his Legion uniform, now dusty and soiled, and I wore my Christmas dress once again. Mother had cleaned away as much as was possible, and Father had shaved and done his business and put his suit on. The children were scrubbed and brushed and allowed to stay up for the family party, excited to have Father home and the family gathered. Uncle Joseph, Aunt Emma, and Grandmother had come over, and Lucy Walker stood by my side. Lorin’s brother William had gone on the steamer to Burlington to bring a witness to Carthage for the coming trial, so he couldn’t be there. The remainder of our intended guests were absent.

“Lorin Walker, do you take Lovina Smith as your lawfully-wedded wife, and do you of your own free will and choice covenant as her companion and lawfully-wedded husband that you will cleave unto her; that you will observe all the laws, covenants, and obligations pertaining to the holy state of matrimony; and that you will love, honor, and cherish her as long as you both shall live?”

Lorin squeezed my right hand tightly in his right hand as he looked at my father and promised, “Yes.”

Father smiled, satisfied.

When he had spoken the same words to me, I answered, “I do.” My voice trembled as I contemplated the enormity of the covenant I was making before God.

Father went on with the ceremony. When he was done, tears came to my eyes. I turned to look at my dearest.

“You may kiss each other as husband and wife.”

Oh! I had forgotten that! Blushing furiously, I closed my eyes and turned up my head. When nothing happened, I opened them. Lorin was as embarrassed as I with all the family looking on.

“Go on, kiss her!” hissed my brother.

So Lorin did.

Then the family surrounded us and added to my kiss several others. Mother brought out a cake she had procured from some mysterious source. After tendering my farewells to Grandmother and Uncle Joseph and Aunt Emma, who with the press of affairs could not remain, Lucy led me off to change into the lacy fripperies that I had been preparing just for this occasion. No one would see them now but Lorin and the family! Father, John, and old George made up Lorin’s wedding party. We could hear them talking in the next room, and then there was silence.

Mother and Aunt Mercy came into the room to admire me and to show me to bed. “I’d like a private word with my daughter first,” said Mother. “Do you mind?” The others left us alone.

“Lovina, I intended to have this talk with you before your wedding, but with things as they are…”

“Yes, Mother?”

“There are woman things you should know. Lovina, you’ve been to the farm and…”

“Yes, Mother?” What was it she wanted to say? I’d never known her to be shy before – gracious, but never reticent.

“Lovina, I want you to have joy and rejoicing in your posterity.”

Was that all? I reassured her, “Oh, Lorin and I intend to have many children!”

“I’m sure you’ll find a way. That’s all I have to say.” Other stood up and, greatly agitated, added, “Remember the farm and remember to have joy. That’s all.” And she left the room.

Lucy joined me and we opened the door to the bedroom. Lorin was already in the bed – asleep! So much for my party!

I crawled under my side of the mosquito netting and gestured for Lucy to be quiet. “Bring me some cake and then go rest. I’ll not waken him,” I whispered.

“Oh, Lovina – your party,” bemoaned Lucy. “My brother!”

“Poor Lorin has hardly slept for a week. We’ll have our own party later. Let him rest,” I whispered.

Indeed, my Lorin looked like a log half submerged in the river. I closed his mouth and smoothed back his hair from his brow. Most all of it had grown back, and the part that hadn’t served to remind me of the prayer I had offered four months earlier, kneeling in that very room, asking the Lord to bless me to have Lorin for my own. Then I had been chilled, and I had tucked a quilt about me as I watched the river unfreeze. Now my heart felt not cold, but warm with the fulfillment of the Lord’s promise. Lorin was mine.