Epilogue

Epilogue

Lorin and Lovina Walker were sealed in the Nauvoo Temple on 28 January 1846. They remained with Emma Smith until she married Major Bidamon in December of 1847, then moved to the Ramus Stake in Illinois. With the help of Lorin’s brother, William, they emigrated west in 1856 and settled in Farmington, Utah, in 1860. Lovina bore Lorin thirteen children before she died in 1876.

Lorin and his second wife, Mary Middlemus, settled in Rockland, Idaho, where he died in 1907. The last years of his life were spent serving in the temple with his brothers and sisters.

Emma Smith Bidamon remained in Nauvoo in the Mansion House after Joseph was martyred. Grandma Lucy Mack Smith lived with her until she died in 1856, the year Lovina and Lorin went west. Uncle Samuel Smith died a month after the martyrdom from wounds suffered in his attempt to rescue his brothers.

Lorin’s father, John Walker, returned from his mission, remarried, and took his family west with the Saints. His sister, Lucy, married Heber C. Kimball and bore him nine children.

Lovina’s stepmother, Mary Fielding Smith, went west with the main body of the Saints, together with her sister, Mercy, and brother, Joseph Fielding.

Eliza Partridge married Amasa Lyman, who later in life developed Alzheimer’s disease, and she was left alone to raise her family. Her sister Emily became the wife of Brigham Young.

In August of 1844, Joseph Jackson published “A Narrative of the Adventures and Experiences of Joseph H. Jackson in Nauvoo, Disclosing the Depths of Mormon Villany,” from Warsaw, Illinois. He was legally charged with murder in September of 1844, along with Colonel Levi Williams and Thomas Sharpe, editor of the Warsaw Signal. When law enforcement officers apprehended these men, Jackson was so sick that he could not be taken. He was never tried and disappeared from the scene. Even the harshest critics of Joseph Smith view Jackson as a prevaricating opportunist.

Governor Ford died a pauper less than ten years after the martyrdom.