Chapter Thirty-one

Chapter Thirty-one

After those disclosures made by the returning brethren, we placed little faith in the promises of Governor Ford. He had proved himself to be a man without principle or charity for the helpless, and no true friend to the Mormons.

Every man held onto his arms and said his prayers. I kept my gun close to my side.

Word next came that Uncle Joseph had been granted a lengthy interview with Governor Ford, who had again assured their safety. But the hundreds of soldiers about Carthage were determined to see blood. Several of the brethren heard boasts to that effect while in Carthage. The governor turned a deaf ear when they apprised him of the boasts.

The next day, Thursday the twenty-seventh of June, Aunt Emma received two letters express from Uncle Joseph. Every time a letter arrived for her, people came to read it. They were not able to be very personal on that account, but that was not his intent. One, received about noon on that day, contained direction to Brother Dunham, who had charge of the Legion, and instructions for our behavior in the event that the governor did visit. While assuring us that there would be no extermination order and that a part of the troops under the governor would not mutiny, he added:

“There is one principle which is eternal; it is the duty of all men to protect their lives and the lives of the household, whenever necessity requires, and no power has a right to forbid it, should the last extreme arrive, but I anticipate no such extreme, but caution is the parent of safety. – Joseph Smith

“P.S. – Dear Emma, I am very much resigned to my lot, knowing I am justified, and have done the best that could be done. Give my love to the children and all my friends, and all who inquire after me; and as for treason, I know that I have not committed any. May God bless you all. Amen.”

This letter was not so positive as the other. It gave additional credence to the stories the brethren told of the threats of the mobs. We all felt like tightened violin bows. I wondered how Aunt Emma could bear all the suspense, loving Uncle Joseph as she did. She must have felt it more deeply than I. Often I wondered if I were in her position, and Lorin jailed, could I behave with as much command and fortitude as my aunt Emma? She was a wall of strength in this time of crisis. Though in a sick condition herself, she gave and gave, offering her home and her solace to others, and practically running the whole city. I persuaded her to rest, yet she would not whilst there was anything she could do in behalf of Uncle Joseph. She could not be at ease in the crisis.

A few hours later, Aunt Emma received the following postscript from Uncle Joseph: “I just learned that the Governor is about to disband his troops, all but a guard to protect us and the peace, and come himself to Nauvoo and deliver a speech to the people. This is right I suppose.”

Most all of the brethren came home shortly after that. Brother Wheelock came right to Aunt Emma with memorized messages for her to hear, and they were delivered to her privately. We wondered what they were, if they were very different from his public messages, but Aunt Emma kept them to herself.

Then Brother Wheelock took others of the family and even Lucy Walker into the room and gave them messages. None were for me; I had had my counsel. I went home to see if Mother had any messages.

I found Mother with a full heart brimming over with tears. Father had sent word to her that she was the finest woman on the earth and that it was a humble privilege to have had the care of her. He wished her to stay close to Heavenly Father always and to follow the twelve apostles, those who had the keys of the kingdom. Father gave his love to all his children and enjoined them to do good for evil always. That sounded like Father.

I stayed a while to talk of the news. It felt so good to be in my own home once again! I had missed both Father and Mother. Though I had worked hard on my new little room, Lorin had been with me so seldom that I could not feel it to be a real home as yet.