Chapter Twenty-two

Chapter Twenty-two

Until I saw it with my own eyes, I would not believe such a thing. But there it was in Lucy Walker’s hands, and she was crying. It was the prospectus of the Nauvoo Expositor, to be edited by Sylvester Emmonds. He was a young man we had danced with! He had come into Nauvoo a stranger with nothing but the shirt on his back. We had clothed and housed him. How could he turn against us like that? Soon he and the “anties” would be publishing a newspaper against us. The voices of the opposition were growing stronger.

“Lucy, it will come to naught. There is no need to cry over it,” I said firmly. “Grandma Smith said it was so.”

“I’m not crying over that silly newspaper. I’m crying over my family!” she said, putting the prospectus on her lap so that she could dab at her tears.

For a moment I panicked. “Lorin? Has something happened to Lorin?”

“No, not Lorin,” she sniffled. “William and Olive are setting up housekeeping and taking my sisters and brothers with them. I can’t go with them.” Lucy continued weeping.

I took the paper from her lap so that it would not soil. “It’s about time they have their own place. What are you so sad about?”

Lucy wailed, “Olive is to have charge of them. How can she take care of all of them?”

In an attempt to brace her up, I said, “Why, I think it is noble of her to do so, and ‘tis only for a time – until your father returns from his mission.”

“I can’t bear for the family to be separated!” she said through her wet handkerchief.

I tried again to comfort her. “Won’t you have Lorin? I have heard no new plan, have you?” I wondered if perhaps we were to live in our own home also. Had Lorin succeeded in asking Uncle Joseph for that boon? Were we also to have our own home? I became greatly excited at the possibility.

“Of course not. You must wait and discuss that with Lorin and Sister Emma. Oh, Lovina, how can I separate from my small ones? They look upon me as their mother.”

“Will they be far away?” I asked.

“No.”

“Can you not see them daily?”

Lucy lowered her handkerchief. “Yes. But ‘tis not at all the same.”

I sighed. “I know how you feel,” I told her. “I must leave my family for yours. It is at times a most difficult proposition.” I thought of how much I treasured them and how I had hesitated to hasten the wedding.

Oddly, that bit of empathy was what dried Lucy’s tears. She said, “That is true; you will be leaving them and joining us. To me that will be a comfort indeed. We’ll have each other. But I still would wish to go with my brother.” And attempting a brave smile she said, “Though I cannot, and must make the best of it.”

Later, I inquired of my love what our future was to be. I was still visiting in the Mansion and had spent the afternoon with Grandma.

Lorin took my elbows and faced me with the unfortunate tidings. “Brother Joseph took it to the Lord and was told that for a time we were to remain in his household. My request precipitated the idea that William and Olive were to leave. Do you mind?”

I could not look at Lorin and instead stared at a candlestick on the mantle. All my dreams of a cozy little home of our own crumbled to dust! No curtains. No pots or cupboards or butter churns. No trunks or rocking chairs or brooms. Then I looked out the window at Sarah Rigdon next door, hanging out the laundry, and realized that it also meant – less work.