Chapter Twenty-four

Chapter Twenty-four

The second week of circuit court, Uncle Joseph decided to face the charges and the mobs outright. “Must you go, Hyrum?” Mother queried the next day as Father prepared to accompany Uncle Joseph to Carthage. Mother had asked that question several times already; and though she put on a brave front, I knew she was thinking of the threatening note that had come a few weeks before, for her eyelid twitched as she ironed Father’s cravat.

Father put her iron back on the fire and took her hands in his. “Mary, I am not on trial. But if I did not accompany Joseph, I could never face him again. I could never face the Lord or my father when I leave this earth. Joseph is my brother. I know there is danger, but I must do the right thing. If I do, only then do I have the promise of the Lord’s protection. My place is beside Joseph.”

“I – I understand,” she answered.

Then Father took her in his arms and said his goodbyes. He took all of us in his arms and kissed us one last time. “I’ll be back by nightfall or in a few days at worst. God bless you all.” And giving Mother one last caress, he was gone.

Mother sat like a stone in the chair by the fireplace. I knew she was remembering the time Father was carried away to jail in Missouri with Uncle Joseph. At the time she had been recovering from sickness. Her sorrow had kept her down for many months. If it hadn’t been for Aunt Mercy and Aunty Grinnels we might all have perished.

Aunt Mercy understood Mother’s fears and let her just sit for a while, staring at the wall. I felt responsible; it was partly through me that Father was in danger. I tried to work extra hard to make up for it, for I could not vindicate myself before them. Not once had Mother accused me of bringing the trouble upon them, but I felt dreadful. Joseph Jackson was in Carthage waiting for Father with his pistols. He could shoot him! Would Father come back? Would the Lord protect him?

“I think we should offer another prayer,” Aunt Mercy suggested.

She gathered all the children, and we knelt down together. Some of the fear was removed from us as we sang:

Let thy kingdom, blessed Savior,

Come and bid our troubles cease;

Come, oh come! and reign forever,

God of love and prince of peace;

Visit now poor bleeding Zion,

Hear thy people mourn and weep;

Day and night thy lambs are crying,

Come, good Shepherd, feed thy sheep.

Come, good Lord, with courage arm us,

 Persecution rages here –

Nothing, Lord, we know can harm us,

While our Shepherd is so near.

Glory, glory, be to Jesus,

At his name our hearts do leap;

He both comforts us and frees us,

The good shepherd feeds his sheep.

Blinking back her tears, Mother rose and waved her hands about as if they needed to keep busy to forget, saying, “All this worrying won’t do the work. Up and about! Lovina, see to the washing. John, see to the wood. You two little girls see to the candle dipping. I’m going to make soap. That will keep my mind busy!” It was good to see Mother strong again.