Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

I found it nigh unto impossible to forgive Lorin for several days, for he had hurt me deeply. Only those we love have the power to inflict a wound so hard to heal. As he forbore to mention linen, dresses, or even wedding dates again, I was able to maintain a degree of composure when in his presence. But all was not well in our particular Zion.

Fortunately, the Maid of Iowa, the steamboat owned by members of the church, was expected with a new load of converts! How could one repine with such a prospect? Memories of a certain moonlight cruise the last summer, when we danced to the melodies of the quadrille band, flooded my heart.

Floating across the water, the music had invited us onto the boat. It was my first waltz. Lorin passed me with his partner and stopped and stared. Before, he had treated me much like he treated my younger cousin Julia; but when he saw me dancing with his friends that night, he finally noticed that I was a young lady! When he was able, Lorin partnered me, then walked me about the dick in the moonlight. That began our courtship. Ah, the Maid of Iowa! The blessed Maid of Iowa!

When the drayman shouted, “Steeeem-bo-at!” doors opened and people flooded the streets repeating the call, “Steeeem-bo-at,” and more doors opened. Dogs woke up and raced for the river, barking to one another, loaded carts were rumbled to the landing, and the boys stopped wrestling in the grass by the Mansion. Uncle Joseph, wrestling right along with them, ran to the wharf with the boys. Indeed, almost the whole town was on its way.

I stayed behind our fence where it was less crowded and offered a superior view of the proceedings. Mother and Aunt Mercy joined me, anxious to greet the new converts from England, their native land.

What was a puff of smoke beyond the point of the river below the town became a white spot on the water; and by the time the wharf was a mass of anxious greeters, it had become a boat. We could hear chugging and hissing in the distance like the hum of a mosquito, until it grew in magnitude above the cheering of the waiting crowd.

With dreams in their hearts, converts were gathered at the rails gazing at the gleaming white walls of the temple. Soon we on the shore caught the melody of the hymn they sang:

Come all ye sons of Zion,

And let us praise the Lord;

His ransom’d are returning,

According to his word.

In sacred songs, and gladness,

They walk the narrow way,

And thank the Lord who bro’t them

To see the latter day.

Some in the crowd met their voices across the waters, every bit as thrilled with the sight of a teeming boatload of zealous hearts singing their way to Zion as those aboard the boat were to be nearing the shores of the city of the Saints. Soon they would meet a prophet of God.

Then gather up for Zion,

Ye saints, throughout the land,

And clear the way before you,

As God shall give command:

Tho’ wicked men and devils

Exert their pow’r, ‘tis vain,

Since him who is Eternal

Has said you shall obtain.

Touching at last, crowd met crowd and convert met Saint. All met Uncle Joseph. Tears poured down the faces of old friends reunited and folks happy to come home at last. Some were plain glad to be upon solid ground again after months at sea. The crowds gradually dispersed, and each person was absorbed into the city and taken home. Two hundred and ten new residents! Nauvoo was growing fast.