Chapter Twenty-six

Chapter Twenty-six

I didn’t see Lorin after that, for he was desperately busy preparing the arms for the Nauvoo Legion under the direction of Brother Turley, a gunsmith. They worked through Sunday night and Monday, insuring that all was in readiness for an attack from the mob.

In the morning I received a note from Lorin. “My Dearest,” it said, “Please add to the burden of your sewing.” Sewing? Who could care about sewing a wedding dress at such a time? However, I read on: “My uniform is in a dreadful state and I need it tomorrow. Do you see how desperately I need a wife?” Well, he almost had one – me! I was tickled to serve him in that capacity; and despite our danger, I wore a smile as large as sunshine.

I crossed the road to the Mansion and went inside. What a busy hive of men – signing papers, rushing off to collect supplies or to find a certain individual. And in the center of the storm of activity, Uncle Joseph sat behind his desk, his hair all askew as if he had not had a bit of sleep.

I saw Jane Manning coming from the kitchen and called, “Jane! I must prepare Lorin’s uniform. Can you get it for me?”

We all loved Jane, a negro convert who had walked a thousand miles barefoot to see a prophet of God after her baptism. She was freeborn and worked for Uncle Joseph.

Jane shook her black curls and declared, “We-ll, ain’t that fittin’! Takin’ care o’ yore man. When’s the weddin’?”

“July.”

“If I was yo, I’d be a might bit hasty. These times is bad. You never knows.”

As I sewed, I thought of Jane’s words. One never did know. The order had gone to the printer for invitations to a wedding in July. Aunty Grinnels was preparing candy and jams for a jelly roll, working out in the summer kitchen. I was nearly prepared. My dress was half done, and my trunk was filled with beautifully embroidered sheets and three quilts. I was the proud owner of two goose down pillows and a lace table runner. And my trousseau was complete. Could we move the wedding ahead? Should we? With these troublous times, it would be a great comfort indeed to be safely married.

Such a joy it was to do this small service for Lorin! His uniform smelt of soil and horse and gunpowder. When I was done cleaning it, it smelled of soap and fresh air. As I resewed every button securely, I thought lovingly how the jacket would fit over his wide shoulders. I thought braid would add to their consequence, so added that along the seam. I pressed his pants until they were stiff and put a spit on his boots until I could fairly see my own reflection in them. I felt almost wifely - or at least like a little girl playing house.

Lorin would be the finest-looking soldier in the Legion, although I was certain that all over the city other sisters were thinking the same thing about their men. And I was one of them! I was part of the great army behind the army. How proud I was to serve in some small way. All the city was toiling, and at the landing large numbers of people arrived and departed on crowded boats. We went outside to lean over our fence, hoping to catch a bit of the news. Many families were frightened by the threats of the mob and packed up and left the city for St. Louis or Cincinnati; others came to Nauvoo for protection, bringing stories of burnings and more mobs gathering. It was reported that steamboats full of Missourians were coming across to Warsaw. Others came into town to report that the Laws planned to burn the Nauvoo Neighbor printing office in retaliation for the destruction of the Expositor press. Someone even claimed a warship was coming up the river to land at Nauvoo! That struck fear into my heart! How could we fight a warship? We had no Navy. A cannon was placed on the wharf.

Mother said that we should continue our labors, trust in the Lord, and do our part. Father retired to his study to write letters calling the twelve apostles home at this time of emergency. That evening we got the true word. Shadrach Roundy and Stephen Markham had gone scouting in the vicinity of Warsaw and Carthage, confirming our fears that mobs were indeed assembling with threats of immediate attack. They found no proof for the tale of the warship. But they learned that the mobs certainly intended to exterminate the Mormons!!