Red Velvet - Chapter Six

"Okay, this is me?" Hunter pulled out his key card and slid it in the slot to open the door

They stepped inside. It was a very nice suite. Red walked immediately over to the kitchen. She put down her cheesecake and peeked into the paper bag of ingredients sitting on the countertop.

"Hey, that's cheating!" Hunter hung up his coat and then came up behind her to peek in the bag with her.

"I can't help it. I'm curious."

"Figure anything out yet?" The breath of his words brushed her ear, and her skin tingled.

"I see all the ingredients for a tomato gazpacho." Red's stomach fluttered but it had nothing all to do with what Hunter had chosen to make for dinner and everything to do with the man standing behind her.

"Hmmm, exactly right. Can I take your coat?"

His nearness addled her brain. "What?"

"Your coat? It's still on." Hunter pointed out.

"Oh, yeah," Red made quick work of the buttons and shrugged it off her shoulders with Hunter's help. He moved away to hang it up and then noticed her for the first time.

"Whoa!"

Red shied under his gaze. "I know. I overshot this one."

"Don't apologize you look... actually, I don't have the words. All I know is now I can't make you dinner?"

"Wait. What? Why not?" Did he think she did this on purpose? That she wanted to seduce him somehow? Did he plan to end their date?

"Because Red Velvet, you in my kitchen, in that dress, will be far too distracting," Hunter admitted. "I'll most likely screw it up and fail to produce anything edible."

Red's smile spread slowly across her glossed lips, it reached all the way to her eyes making them shine. Oh, how he loved that smile.

"Men..." Red responded with a dramatic flair, her hands on her hips, and a shake of her head, "completely helpless in a kitchen."

"Hey!" Hunter waved his hand to encompass her entire form. "Seriously? Complete unfair disadvantage."

"Fine, I'll help but you owe me."

"Name it." He came back to her side and started to unpack his ingredients.

She grabbed the vegetables and began scrubbing them. "No joke?"

"I am a man of my word. What do you want?"

Red felt the excitement of the idea course through her. "Could you review our bakery?"

Hunter's hand stilled for a second but it did not go unnoticed before he lit the pilot light and drizzled the oil in the pan.

"I'm sorry. Is that rude? I have to be honest. I did have an ulterior motive in accepting your invitation. I just... it would mean the world to me if you endorsed Granny's. With your endorsement, we just might survive this whole cable thing."

She started dicing.

Hunter's heart felt heavy. "Red, I ... I would love to but I can't." He meant it when he said he was a man of his word but he couldn't give her what she wanted and it killed him.

All movement stopped and Red looked over at him. Her disappointment, clearly written on her face. "Why?"

"Because of the show. I signed a non-compete. I'm not able to endorse another bakery within a 50-mile radius of Wolf's shop."

"Oh." Red looked away, there goes her last chance. "Well. Can't say I didn't try."

"You're not mad?"

"Oh, I'm furious. Just not at you. Elias on the other hand." She diced the vegetables with slightly more vigor than necessary.

"Remind me to stay on your good side."

Red laughed out loud and the sound somehow dispelled the tension from the room.

They worked side by side with natural ease. It amazed Hunter just how well they managed together. She worked fluid, he no sooner thought of what he needed next and she'd have it already in hand giving it to him. The dinner of tomato gazpacho and chicken paella turned out delicious, and they both enjoyed the fruits of their labor. When they moved on to the cheesecake, with one bite Hunter knew he had to say it.

"You know Red there may still be hope for Granny's bakery?"

"I'd love to hear it!" Currently, felt in the dark with no way out.

"The producer would like a bake-off. Winner takes all."

"All?"

"The TV spot, endorsements, money, everything."

"And the loser?"

"Moves on."

"You mean closes down? That's a bit harsh don't you think?"

"It would be if you didn't stand to lose everything right now. If you are going to go down, why not go down swinging?"

"Gran thinks we can wait him out?"

"I don't know. Possible, but I've seen shows like his last for several seasons? I've now had a muffin, cookies, and this cheesecake, everything I've had here is better than Wolf's. You have a real shot at this."

"I'll give it some thought and run the idea past Gran."

"Of course," Hunter said resigned.

After dinner, he walked her home. They talked about their hopes and dreams. Red learned Hunter wanted to open a new restaurant and give up being a critic. He missed the hustle and bustle, the whole environment really, especially experimenting with new recipes.

She had to admit he could cook. The meal he made them was prepared to perfection. It's been a long time since she's enjoyed such a meal. When he asked about her family she blew off the question not wanting to bring down the mood of the evening.

"That's a tale for another time I think," Red told him and then pointed to the stairs the led up to their apartment. She leaned against the door. "Well, this is me."

"So it is." Hunter so wished the evening didn't have to end.

"I had a really nice time tonight, Hunter."

"Me too." A very long pause followed those words as they stood and stared at one another for a moment. Hunter reached out and tucked a long lock of her hair behind her ear. Red shied away, so he tilted her chin up to look at him.

"May I?"

She knew what he meant and could only shake her head, yes.

He leaned in ever so slightly. He had wanted to kiss her all evening. It had been sweet torture to be so close yet held at a distance. His head tilted, to taste those sweet lips... Red gasped. The outdoor light flashed on and they suddenly broke apart.

"Oh, there you are! So, glad you're home."

Red forced a smile. "Hi, Gran. Where's Goldie?" she questioned finding it difficult not to sound annoyed.

"Where do you think? Asleep, in your bed."

Thanks a lot, Goldie.

"I've delivered her home as promised, Granny. Goodnight, Red." Hunter gave her a kiss on the cheek. "And you too, Granny."

Granny was shocked when Hunter kissed her cheek as well. She giggled. "Goodnight, Hunter." He gave her a small smile before Red longingly watched him walk away. She turned to go into the house, with Granny close behind.