Goldie & the Bear - 7

Bear stole a glance across the room as he cleaned up a table

Bear stole a glance across the room as he cleaned up a table. Goldie was totally animated talking with one of Missy's customers. They were both laughing and he was mesmerized by the way her laugh just seemed to light her up from the inside.

They had been working together for over a week now. Usually, he was gone by noon but today Missy had a doctor's appointment and asked if he would help Goldie close up shop. 

He readily agreed. In fact, he found he looked forward to work every morning, leaping out of bed to face another day. He couldn't remember the last time he felt that way and the cause was now frowning at him.

Bear quickly looked away and pretended to scrub a stubborn spot on the table.

Stealing a quick peek, he saw she had gone back to ignoring him and continued her conversation.

He couldn't figure it out. Ever since his first day here, around him, Goldie seemed subdued somehow. He wondered what he had done to cause it to happen. He could be pretty miserable sometimes. His sister would complain that when he was in a mood he could suck the joy right out of a room but he didn't think him being a bear would affect someone like Goldie.

He had to concede she was really good at her job. Within a week the place ran like a well-oiled machine. She found ways to cut costs for Missy. Even hooked her up with better distributors for her baking supplies, having connections from a bakery Red and her Grandmother use to run. All this he gleaned from his sister, as Goldie was not very forthcoming with information about herself.

Goldie had caught him starring at her again. The way he looked at her was the way she looked at her favorite dessert. A look of longing mixed with an intense hunger. It made her knees feel weak and her insides turn to porridge.

"What is he thinking?" she wondered. If he does have someone, he most definitely should not be throwing such looks her way.

She walked the last customer to the door and locked up shop, turning over the open sign, to closed. She turned back around to find Bear standing before her holding two cups in his hands.

The smell of chocolate lured her closer. Damn him, using her one weakness against her.

"Thought the boss, could use a break," he said smiling, holding out the hot chocolate for her to take.

Now he's smiling at her...make that two weakness.

"Thank you!" Goldie said almost timidly as she took the cup from him. Suddenly her nerves were on edge, and the flutters she gets in her stomach when he smiles refused to subside. 

Most days it wasn't so bad because he would leave early, being part-time and then during the day Missy was always around as a buffer but now they were completely alone and he was looking at her in that way he had before.

She brought the cup to her lips, took a sip, and sighed. Bear had taken to making her Hot Chocolate for her and she didn't know what he did differently but it was like tasting heaven.