Missy & the Spider - Chapter 4

Within a few minutes Tino packed up and promised again to be back around six

Within a few minutes Tino packed up and promised again to be back around six. Missy flew to her kitchen and then to her horror realized she had nothing to cook. Since Bear had left she went back to salads or frozen dinners...it just was no fun cooking for one. Now what was she to do?

This was a meal emergency... she called the RedWood Diner.

"Red, speaking."

"Red? Hi. Missy here. I need to place an order for food. It's sort of a dinner date and I'm all out of dinners. Any suggestions?"

"Dinner date, huh? It may be boring but I'd say burgers from Hunter's grille, unless you know he has a preference."

"Uh... no. Don't know him well enough for preferences."

"Ah, first date, huh? Then you definitely can't go wrong with our burgers and fries. Want anything from the Bakery for dessert?"

"There I'm good. Thanks, Red. You're a lifesaver."

Red laughed, "Anytime, see you soon."

Missy grabbed her coat and was out the door and in the car driving back to the center of town.

Tino got into work. He handed his report to his boss/uncle who groaned when he read it.

"Tino, tell me this is some kind of bad joke?"

"Sorry, Uncle Seymour. I slipped on the ice and was nearly launched off the roof. There is damage but I'll pay for it. I'll work overtime if I need to make it up to you."

Seymour patted his nephew on his back. "It's not your fault kid. It's mine for letting your father talk me into letting you have this job. You're just not cut out for it."

"Are you... are you firing me?"

Seymour Webber palmed his face. "Fire...well, firing sounds rather harsh. Why don't we just say, after you finish the Brown place, I won't be picking up your options next year."

"Next year is a week away," Tino reasoned.

"How about that? What are the odds?" his Uncle said. "Look kid. The truth is, keeping you here isn't doing you any favors either. Use that big brain of yours and get a job that's worth your while. You don't belong here."

Tino sort of wondered if he belonged anywhere. "Okay. I'll finish the Brown house and turn in my cleats."

"How did you get the woman not to complain about you anyway? Laid on the ol' Webber charm, did you? Just remember hands off until job is done, got it?"

Tino thought about how he was going back there for dinner tonight but figured his Uncle didn't need to know that bit of information. Oh, what a tangled web we weave... SHUT UP BRAIN!

Tino smiled a forced grin. "Yep, you got it."

He left his work truck behind for the weekend and jumped into his Toyota Spyder. It was a crappy car for the winter months but a sweet ride for the rest of the year. Right now it was just making his progress torturously slow getting home.