Goldie & the Bear - 1

Goldie loved her new job at the RedWood Diner

Goldie loved her new job at the RedWood Diner. It was hard to put her finger on what exactly she liked best about her job. The fact that she still gets to hang out with her best friend Red, that Granny can't boss her around anymore, or the fact that she was sort of her own boss now that Red and Hunter made her a manager.

Goldie couldn't believe that last one, but Red said she had faith in her to do a good job and that meant the world to her. Being an orphan, Goldie grew up going from house to house. It was hard to trust anyone. Red was her first and truthfully only good friend.

Being in the foster care system usually meant scrounging for your next meal or place to lay your head. She just never knew when her next mistake was going to cause her to jump out of bed, running. Red and Granny, however, looked out for her.

Granny would often slip her an extra oatmeal cinnamon muffin when she brought them to the school for the breakfast program and Red would have her come over for dinner or to sleep over. She sometimes wondered where she would have ended up if it weren't for them.

Those days, however, were over. Now she had a good friend, an apartment of her own, a great job, things were looking up.

With the new job, there was another perk, no more getting up so early, no more worries about what would happen if she stayed out too late. Now she can get to work at a normal, decent hour, that was just right for her and allowed her to partake of her new obsession, Hot Chocolate from Missy's Muffin and Coffee shop. In Goldie's opinion, there was no better way to start the day.

She stepped inside and waved to Missy behind the counter.

Missy said, "Sorry! Running a little behind this morning. Pick out a muffin and I'll get your drink ready."

"No worries, take your time," Goldie said and walked over to the bakery case trying to pick out the perfect muffin. "Hmmm, Lemon Meringue Muffin... nah, not sweet enough. Oooh, a French toast muffin, no... too sweet. Ah Hah! A peaches and cream muffin..."

"You think you might pick a muffin sometime this century?"

Goldie looked over at the rugged six-foot-something man. Slight beard, the sort of bed head hairdo that makes you think of running your fingers through it. He was as delicious as the muffins before her, too bad about the attitude though. 

Goldie smiled, reached into the case, and plucked out a muffin for him.

"Bran muffin?"

Bearnard was usually a patient man... Oh, who was he kidding he wasn't patient at all, impatient, impulsive, reckless, would be more accurate terms to describe him, and to make matters worse he was in a rush this morning.

"No."

"Really, it might help with that look on your face."

Bearnard almost felt a smile prick his lips. Almost.