Missy & the Spider - Chapter 6

Goldie came in humming a new Christmas tune, which died on her lips the moment she had seen Missy

Goldie came in humming a new Christmas tune, which died on her lips the moment she had seen Missy. Whatever news she must have received must have been bad, really bad.

"Missy? Are you alright?"

Missy was sitting at one of the tables. Nothing had been prepared. The usual smells that greeted Goldie had all gone stale.

"I don't think we'll open today."

"What happened yesterday?"

"The roof can be fixed although it will cost more than half of the profits I earned these last few months, but that's not my problem."

Missy thought that was quite a blow and wondered what could be worse. "Anything I can do to help?" she offered.

"I don't think so?" Missy supplied.

Sitting across from her friend and soon to be sister-in-law Goldie said, "Why don't you tell me about it and let me decide."

Missy shrugged. "I blew it. I had a date with a really great guy and I just blew it."

"A date, huh?" Goldie wondered when Missy had a chance to socialize as far as she knew Missy only went from her house, to the bakery and back to her house. Rarely did she do anything in between.

"With Tino Webber."

"Whoa, wait... what?" Goldie asked, totally shocked. "Tino? The regular who comes in here 2 to 3 times a week?"

"Yeah, why?"

"I grant you he's adorable. You've got great taste. I just... well... I just don't think he's the right guy for you."

Missy looked up with a sad look in her eyes. "It would seem he agrees with you, but for argument's sake, may I ask why?"

Goldie thought the answer obvious, but knowing Missy to be sensitive about the subject she said, "You know..."

"Know what?" Missy asked, "Is he gay?"

"Good Heavens, No!" Goldie laughed though she knew this was no laughing matter.

"Am I not cute enough?"

"NO! You're adorable, and he'd be lucky to have someone like you interested in him."

"Well then what is wrong with ME?" Missy demanded.

A thought occurred to Goldie, that hadn't before. "Has he told anything about his schooling?"

"He told me he has PhD in Biology? Why?"

He left out some important information, Goldie thought. "Missy, Tino is a Biologist, but his field of expertise is... spiders."

Suddenly the lights came on and everything made sense, from his understanding towards her, to his disappointment. He must have come to the same conclusion as Goldie once she screamed in his face.