Missy & the Spider - Chapter 1

Goldie was humming her favorite holiday tune when she stepped into Missy's Muffin Shop

Goldie was humming her favorite holiday tune when she stepped into Missy's Muffin Shop. She breathed in deep the smell of peppermint and chocolate for the new Peppermint Mocha Coffee they were making special for the holiday season and sighed happily.

Missy came out holding a handful of peppermint sticks for those Hot Chocolate lovers who wished to add some flavor to their drinks and stuck them in a Mason jar on the counter.

"Good morning!" Goldie said, cheerily.

"Bah, Humbug!" Missy replied.

"That's not like you. What's going on?"

"Sorry, with all this snow I've been having a real problem with my roof. This morning I awoke to drops of icy water hitting my face. I'll need to leave early today to meet the gutter guy, I'm hoping it's just some clogged leaves."

"Oh no! That's terrible. No wonder you're in such a mood."

"Yeah, and with this being my first year open, I've got little financially to show for it. If it wasn't for you, I don't think I would have made it into the black at all this year, but if it turns out to be something serious, I'll be back in the red."

"Well, red is the color for Christmas!" Goldie said but Missy just groaned at her joke.

"Okay, that was too lame, I'll try another. Perhaps all you need is a little more green?"

Missy's frown deepened.

"Okay, that's no good either." Goldie chuckled.

Before she could find a joke that was just right to cheer her friend, Bear came from the back room with his new plans for his next project with the Boar Brothers.

"Hey, when did you get here?" Goldie said sneaking her fiancé a quick kiss, and laughed when he pouted that it was over too quickly.

"This is no time for a make out session, your sister is in distress."

"I know. Who do you think she called this morning? I nearly killed myself on that roof of hers. It's covered in ice, but I did manage to patch the leak, but something will need to be done as they are calling for more snow this weekend."

Missy groaned, again.

"Awww!" Goldie said, giving Missy a hug, "It'll get better."

"Well, one positive thing about my lack of sleep is I came up with some inspired recipes based of my favorite food... Cottage Cheese."

"Really, Red's Gran is a big curds and whey fan but you?"

Missy handed her and almond roll pastry with cottage cheese rolled in. It was sweet but not too sweet making it just the right level of sweetness.

"Oh Lord, this is amazing!" Goldie said, and it was the first time Missy truly smiled.

"Well, I gotta go see a man about a reindeer," Bear said.