Red Velvet - Chapter Seven

Granny tried to get the goods but Red refused to divulge anything

Granny tried to get the goods but Red refused to divulge anything. Being Gran, the only way Red could punish her, was to hold out on the information she wanted.

The next morning Goldie came into the living room surprised to see Red asleep on the couch. "Why didn't you wake me?"

Red stretched and stood up to go make some coffee.

"Are you mad at me?" It wasn't like Red not to talk to her.

"No, I was mad at you. Now, I'm too tired to care."

Goldie knew immediately why. "Gran outlasted me didn't she?"

"Yep."

"Sorry."

"It's fine really." However, Red sighed thinking of the kiss she had missed.

Gran came into the room. "You talking to me yet?"

"Yes. We have something we need to discuss."

"What's that?" Gran asked as Red set a glass of water and her pill case in front of her.

"Hunter told me the producer of the show wants to offer us a chance to compete for the T.V. spot, endorsements, everything?"

"Why would he do that?"

"Because the winner takes it all and he thinks our stuff is better than Wolf's."

"Takes all as in the loser gets nothing?" Gran inquired.

"As in the loser, loses everything," Red amended.

"Not interested," Gran stated flatly.

"Come on, Gran. With Wolf getting a show on cable we are going to lose everything as soon as it hits the air."

"You don't know that."

"Are we suppose to wait until it happens?"

"IF it happens, we'll deal with it then, Red. I know I'm old but I have several good years in me yet and I don't plan on wasting a minute of them. But if this is something YOU feel strongly about, then go for it. I could use an early retirement," Gran said getting up from the table and walking down to the bakery.

"AUGH!!!!! Why does she have to make everything so difficult!"

"Because she wants you to choose," Goldie said.

"Choose what? Listen to her or close up shop?"

"No, what path to take. She wants you to choose your own way."

"My way! That's a joke. I've always done what others expected of me my whole life. The one time I didn't, it was a disaster, and she's never let me live it down."

"So, what are you going to do?"

"I'm going to tell Hunter to inform the producer, 'Thanks but no thanks.' What other choice do I have?"