22

Dedicated to mikkiluvscadbury  

NATASHA

I knew exactly where we were heading. He increased the speed whenever possible, made sharp turns and I was totally terrified. I was never a fan of rash driving. I kept my mouth closed and didn’t mention t him the fear I had for speeding cars. The next second he slowed down as if he had read my mind or maybe he spared a glance at me. My facial expressions, for sure, was a giveaway. I turned to him and saw that his gaze fixed in the road. I could see the pain in his eyes. He held back his tears.

The car came to a sudden stop. The familiar surroundings informed me that we were at the garden. I did not even know a place like this existed before the past month.

He did not bother to open the door for me, not that I complained. He was lost, lost in himself. He went inside leaving me behind. I was having a tough time catching up with him, mostly because of two reasons, firstly it was dark and second he was increasing his speed with every step.

I saw him sit on the ground under the banyan tree. He was not in a mood to talk, so I sat next to him silently. I saw a lone tear escape his eyes. I bent forward and wiped it off with my thumb.

“Are you okay?” I asked him and he did not respond.

“Vihaan, please talk to me. It will help to reduce the pain.”

“What is left to talk about Natasha? Why does he have to be like this all the time? I hate him and I’ve tried my best to avoid him, but he comes back to torture me and with him comes my mom’s crying face.”

“Vihaan tell me. I assure you that you’ll feel a lot better after it gets off your mind.”

“I can’t Natasha. I have not ever talked about it. I don’t want any pity.”

“The same old dialogue from those cheesy novels and films. Believe me Vihaan, you cant be silent because you think that. For your information you are crying.” Well that statement of mine should have worked.

There was a pregnant pause. I waited.

“It happened nearly twenty years ago. I was six and Niveda four. Mom Nivi and I used to go to the park in the evening. That day also we were gone as usual, but the sight we witnessed when we returned was not usual. My dad and her, how could she do that to my mom? My mom considered her as a daughter.” Vihaan’s eyes were red. He was clenching and unclenching his fists every now and then.

“Who Vihaan?”

“My mom’s younger sister, she was ten years younger to y mother and my mom cared for her as she did for us after my grandparents’ death. We saw our mother cry for the first time in our life. When she tried to ask something, he hit her. I remember the conversation even today”

“It is okay Vihaan” I tried to say.

“Let me continue Natasha. That bitch was a divorcee. My mom let her live with us when her husband threw her out. The reason for him leaving her was that she could not conceive. My mom was heartbroken when she came to know what all were happening behind her back.  She tried to question him and his brave act in response was to hit her. Nivi started crying and I saw him aiming at her next.  Thankfully my mom was able to react before that happened and she pushed Nivi to me.”