Chapter 6

Getting out of the car, I ignored Monic's protests and questions. I remembered what Preston told me and it was enough to convince me that this wasn't the Adam that we knew.

"Jake, drive and don't look back," I told him sharply. He looked at me as if I was crazy.

"What about yo-" I shut the car's door before he could ask another question and I shot him a look that made him turn the car and drive away.

This man wasn't my Adam and I won't let anyone I loved get hurt by him.

He was after me so I knew Monic and Jake would be safe now.

I narrowed my eyes at him, glaring at the man before me darkly.

"What do you want?" I asked into the night, knowing he could hear me loud and clear.

I was hurt and if he was going to pick a fight with me, I would lose in a nanosecond but I remembered Bryant telling me that if I'm going to go down, I should go down with my head held high and I should fight until they brought me to my knees.

So that was exactly what I'm going to do. Fight him even if I knew the outcome wouldn't be good.

He had an advantage over me. He was wearing the face of the man I love. Even if I wanted to hurt him, my heart wouldn't let me because all I'm going to see was the guy who I care about.

But he doesn't remember me. He knows me as the person who killed his mother and that certainly won't be stopping him from hurting me.

I saw him walking closer but I didn't move from my spot. My feet remained rooted to the ground; partly because I was probably drowning in shock and maybe because of the injury I got from my fight, preventing me from moving freely.

One wrong move and he'll notice. Not that anything indicated that he didn't watch the fight going, which wouldn't make any of it matter because he would've witnessed my side being kicked twice.

Would he really hit you though?

It sure looked like it during dinner. Adam wouldn't have the heart to lay a hand on a lady but then again this wasn't Adam and I wasn't exactly a 'lady', which was unfortunate because I was obviously in the losing end of this fight and that completely sucks for me.

He kept walking forward until he was only a few feet away from me, watching me with an indescribable gleam in his eyes.

"How long have you been here?" I answered coolly, as if I wasn't about to be beaten up by my own "boyfriend", if I could even call him that.

He didn't answer but he did finally stop walking when we could see each other clearly.

It was painful, looking at him like this. At the first glance, you could've missed that tinge of hatred in his eyes but if you look closer, you would see that it was practically burning through him. I could feel my body urging me to take a weary step backward to create a safe distance.

With this closure, it wouldn't take much for him to land a blow within the small distance and with my whole body throbbing with pain, one abrupt move would cause me more pain than I could handle.

I was praying for some of that adrenaline back but I couldn't feel even the slightest trace of it coming back to me.

"Why did you do it? Why did you kill her?" I shook my head at his questions.

"That's the thing, I didn't!" I shouted in aggravation. The whole 'blame Casey for bewildering things' were getting on my nerves real quick. This is stupid.

"Don't you dare lie, I saw you!" He yelled at me, his fist swinging. My eyes widened before I quickly ducked, gritting my teeth to keep myself from whimpering in pain.