Chapter 31

I woke up the next day with swollen eyes and hair sticking up everywhere, a blocked nose and a limp in my steps from that kick I did during the fight.

I felt like complete and utter shit so I decided that a hot chocolate with some marshmallows might help. I got out of my bed to make myself the drink, grabbing my phone with me to check my notifications.

Monic's message was the first one to caught my eyes. She wrote a whole paragraph asking how I was doing. I know she had been busy doing her own finals and she had the whole drama between Jake and her. Apparently there was a girl that was going after Jake and after the whole ordeal with Dom's betrayal, I guess it hit her trust towards everyone pretty hard. It was affecting their relationship and it hurt me see how much destruction it was doing to her happiness.

I didn't want to worry her even more so I decided to build an image where everything was under control and that everything was looking up when in reality I had nothing figured out.

I scrolled through the other notifications this time and my eyes caught Preston's message and I instantly swiped it open.

Can you stop by the house today?

My fingers hovered over the keyboard, trying to decide if I can go to their house today. It was a pretty long drive and I was limping. But what if they're in trouble? I hesitated before finally telling him I'll be there there by this afternoon. It was still 9 am so I had some time to clean up and make that drink I craved before I had to be on the road.

When I reached the Jones' house, I rang the bell and knocked on the door for good measure. When the door was open, I was greeted by the kids hugging my legs and accidentally stepping my feet which made me suppress a quiet hiss of pain.

Adam was right behind them in a shirt and joggers with his hair mussed up, looking he was as surprised as ever.

"Case, I didn't know you were stopping by." He stated and I gave him a small hesitant smile.

"Preston asked me to come over, I don't know why but he usually has a good reason." I replied while bending down to hug the kids and carry the both of them as best as I could in my arms. I suddenly noticed Adam's look of apprehension when I looked back up to look at him. He remained quiet as he stepped aside to let me in.

"Um, I actually have a guest right now but I'll call Preston down for you. I'll be right back," he said breathily, muttering what sounded like a curse beneath his breath and he was running up the stairs before I could comment anything.

"Okay.." I mumbled to myself, confused as hell. I looked down at the two angels that were looking up at me with their cute expressions.

"What took you so long? We missed you!" Pio pouted angrily and leaning back to cross his arms, making me almost drop him since my arms were too full. Cali wrapped her hands around my neck and nuzzled her face into the juncture between my neck and shoulder.

"There's a weird girl that has been eating Adam's face for the last hour in our living room, Case. I'm scared she's hurting him." Cali whispered softly against my neck and hearing what she said effectively made me tense up.

Was this why Preston wanted me to come over? That would be cruel, rubbing the fact that Adam's moved on from me all over my face while I'm here still hung up about him.

"I'm sure Adam's quite alright, sweet cheeks." I replied Cali, tickling her feet a little and watching her mood lighten a bit as she giggled.

I guess it's about time I meet my replacement in Adam's life. I thought silently, trying to push away the hurt and jealousy I'm feeling.