Chapter 46

"So tonight's the night, huh?"

I turned to face Adam at the sound of his voice.

He was leaning on the doorframe, hands in his pockets as he watched me.

I was sitting on my bedroom floor, packing up some last few things into the duffel bag I usually bring with me during my fights.

"Yeah," I sighed as I looked at the contents of my bag.

My limbs weren't as sore as it was the first few days after my fight with Cole and I was beyond grateful.

I was counting on the adrenaline to numb the residual dull aching pain during the fight tonight.

"Please be careful out there Case," He whispered. I flashed him a weak smile.

I wanted to be able to show some confidence and assure him that I was going to be okay after tonight but I honestly wasn't sure of that myself.

"I'm sure you'll do great, Case." Adam said after a second as he pushed against the doorframe and took two strides  before kneeling by my side.

"I sure hope so," I muttered under my breath as I looked at my semi-zipped bag again.

Tonight's putting a lot of pressure on me. I needed that money to help Cole. It was the least I could do after what I did to his family.

"Hey," I felt Adam's finger under my chin and he turned my face until I was looking back at his green orbs. Their dark shade has always had a calming effect on me.

"You're strong. You'll kick ass and you'll win." Adam said firmly. After searching his eyes and failing to find any trace of doubt, I realized how close our faces were. Our nose were almost touching.

My eyes unconsciously dropped to his lips before I quickly looked back into his eyes.

"You're the strongest person I've ever met," He whispered, his warm breath hitting the lower half of my face and my breath hitched when he started leaning in.

I made no move to stop him as I stayed frozen on my spot.

The second his lips brushed mine, Preston barged in the room. I jumped and effectively knocked my head onto Adam's.

I scrunched my face up at the pain and brought my hand up to nurse my forehead.

Adam was cursing under his breath and I could see him glaring at Preston as I glanced at him sideways to make sure he's alright.

"Oh, was I interrupting something?" Preston asked, looking between us with a gleam in his eyes. I narrowed my eyes at him and he shrugged as if he was the most innocent kid in the world.

"Time to hit the road, we're going to run late at this rate." Preston announced as he proceeded to skip away out of the room.

I sighed as I zipped up my bag. I accepted the hand Adam was offering me and let him pull me onto my feet.

I gripped onto the strap of my duffel bag. I didn't want to show how nervous I was. Tonight was a big thing and it wasn't only nerves that was plaguing my mind, it was also fear.

People are willing to kill to win this prize. God knows how determined my opponent would be.

My lack of ruthlessness might be the death of me tonight. I could already imagine my hesitance being my downfall.

"Case?" Adam called out, resting his hand onto my shoulder.

"I'm scared," I whispered hoarsely as I looked into his eyes and admitted my fear. The eyes that was becoming familiar to me once more.