Chapter 27

"Tell me what you know, I can't help you otherwise you do that." I told Adam, trying to use my most reasonable voice.

Adam's eyes were glued to the wall above my head but he didn't argue anymore. I guess he started seeing sense to cooperate.

"When I was in the hospital, after you stepped out of my ward, Dom appeared." I clutched the cushion and forced myself to listen even though I knew I wasn't going to like how this story is going to end.

"I was wary of him at first but he made it seem like we were the best of friends and it was difficult not to start warming up to him. I was lost and he was there, willing to be my lighthouse. He told me things, filled me in on the memories I have lost. He told me that my mom had been ill but she was in the process of recovering when you came along." When he came to that part of the story, he finally moved his eyes to me and stared at me.

I saw a trace of hatred in them and willed myself to remain emotionless, I willed myself to not flinch and show no weakness.

"He showed me a video that he managed to take of you slipping into my mother's ward alone and then he showed me pictures of you standing over my mother alone." I shuddered at the realization of how doing something good can be twisted into a story of such horror. I knew that the video and pictures was taken of me slipping that last bill into Carla's hospital room. I had to do it alone because I knew Adam was going to interrogate me on where the money came from or  reject the funds.

Although all I wanted was to rant, to justify my actions and so called evidence Dom showed him, I kept my mouth shut and let Adam talk. Every time I saw the hatred in his eyes and heard the bitterness in his voice when he had to mention me, my heart cracked bit by bit. I wasn't sure if I was going to have a heart left by the end of it.

"He told me you slipped something to her IV and he knew this because you told him about it. He told me that you wanted him involved in your conspiracy. He said that he was your best friend ever since you were children and of course it was natural for you to want him involved in whatever you were trying to do. Dom told me he refused your invitation and was so disgusted with the thought of it that he cut all ties with you. He told me he warned me and I tried to stop you but you got angry and a month later, you decided to try to end my life as well."

I felt my stomach churn, hearing all this from Adam himself made me sick. The fact that he believed any of it was sickening, and to think that he believed every thing that he just mentioned.

I was once a part of the circle of people he loved and now I was recorded as his mother's murderer.

"Ever since I learnt about your schemes, I hated you, I hated the thought of you, even hearing your name during Dom's 'story times' would make my blood boil."

I closed my eyes, not being able to stop the tears from the things he was saying. No matter what I try to tell myself, he was still wearing Adam's face, using Adam's voice; the Adam that I love.

"Why didn't it strike you as suspicious that Dom didn't want you to tell your family you were friends with him?" My voice cracked slightly and I prayed they didn't hear it.

"He didn't. I didn't like to be around my family, knowing they still adored you for whatever you portrayed yourself as. They didn't know what your plans were and they didn't know who you truly are. I didn't feel like I owed them any explanation on who I hung out with or where I was going to go so I didn't bother tell them anything." Adam replied. There wasn't any hesitation in him, no thought that all this might be wrong or that he might be wrong about everything.

Once I sensed that he had said his part, I parted my lips to say something but nothing went out of me.

Preston gave me a small sad smile and I tried to take some kind of anchor from his support.