Chapter 1

Asher in wolf form ^

****Hey guys! This is a story that I plan on finishing and making awesome. It'd mean a lot if you'd give me feedback and comment and, if you liked it, to vote!****
_______________________

~Asher's POV~

Winding my slim body between trees, I made my way through the forest without slowing. I took note of the leaves, most on the trees but some fluttering around me. They were dying, their green color slowly but surely giving way to a warmer palette, indicating that autumn was coming.

If I was careful it might not be as hellish as its predecessors though I severely doubted it. The corner of my mouth turned downward as I remembered my previous experiences with Father Frost and what he brought. What joy it brought him....

Shaking my head, I dispelled the thought. I was here to get away, to forget, not to bring my pain with me. When possible I'd leave. I'd run through the forest, pretending that I was free. Sometimes I'd even make believe that I could fly. At times I'd run so fast that it really felt like it. It was a great experience even if it was a lie.

As I traveled farther and farther I tried to convince myself that this time, this time, I would leave. That I didn't care about the others. That I was fine being alone. As I did every other time I gathered the courage to get away, I slowed as I reached the edge of my cage, looking across a clearing, breathing in the scents of the outside world. The territory I would love to be apart of, but torn apart if I crossed into. It terrified me and excited me all at the same time. Sometimes I would find myself about to cross, but I couldn't. I didn't even know why I came honestly.

In the back of my mind, I knew this wouldn't accomplish anything. I wouldn't escape without them. I couldn't. I was too weak. Too weak to leave and too weak to help them escape. But it never stopped me from coming. I don't know if it was a way to give me hope or a form of self-torture.

My attention was brought back to what was before me. The clearing could be seen from between the trees, the bars of my cage. I finally came to a complete stop just before the treeline, relaxing beside a large bush.

Once my breathing settled I closed my eyes, clearing my mind and allowing my ears to pick up the sounds of the forest. Every chirp, every rustle. The forest welcomed me into her clutches as I sat there, basking in my surroundings. It was absolute heaven to me. I was alone yet not alone. No one was here to yell at me, to beat me. I was on top of the food chain, but everything went on as if I wasn't here as if I wasn't a threat, a monster.

A sudden howl made me tense. Adrenaline flooded my veins as I searched the opposite treeline, looking for any sign of movement. Minutes passed, my breathing becoming shallower and shallower until, finally, my eyes locked with another's, their color matching the yellow, almost amber, similar to that of the slowly dying leaves.

Never breaking my gaze, a dark brown, almost black, wolf stepped out. Two more taking their places beside him, one with a charcoal pelt and the other donning a lighter, almost silver, one. Bigger than the other wolves, the brown one commanded authority. It was obvious that he was the alpha of this territory's pack. He scared me, as he would any sane person, but I was sure not to show weakness. I learned you rarely could afford to.

The trio stopped in the middle of the clearing, far enough away as to not make me uncomfortable but close enough to show they knew I was not a threat. Not that I needed reminding. It was quite obvious. They had size and numbers on their side. Plus, a greater will to survive. Even so, I looked into each of their eyes, trying to show I that I have no intentions of crossing into their territory.

The last couple times I've escaped here I was met with at least one of them. They've been more curious than threatening, never showing aggression towards me. But they've never invited me to cross over either. Not that I would. I knew that they wanted to know more, they've gone as far as shifting to try and talk. I never tell them anything though. 

A slight pressure appeared against my mind and I snapped my gaze back to the alpha. Like all the other times they came here, they tried to find out what I am. To find out if I'm like them. I've become an expert at hiding my mind though, building a wall around it. It was one that couldn't be breached nor taken down, not even by me. I've tried but was utterly lost as to how to go about it. In the end, though, I guess I didn't really care. It was necessary for my survival. The mind is strong, but can easily be hurt if given the chance. I would never allow that to happen again.

Like the other times they've come, I didn't open my mind or reveal that I am more than I seem. After a couple minutes, bored with the staring contest, I move to leave, letting out a small yawn.

Though I couldn't do much damage, especially with three against one, they still stood when I did, making sure I wouldn't suddenly turn and attack or break past them to the rest of their pack. Not that I could.

For all the time I spent looking into their territory, I knew nothing of it. They'd catch me before I could do anything anyway so there's no use in trying. I knew that using them as an excuse was cowardly. Something to comfort me but I couldn't help it.

Shaking my head, I turned around and made my way back. I could feel their eyes tracking my every move. Sure enough, as I glanced over my shoulder, they were. Like three stone statues they stood tall, brimming with power. They must have a lot of free time. Lucky bastards.

I put them out of my mind as I used my scent trail to retrace my steps, making sure it was confusing enough that someone not familiar with the area could easily follow. I've gone this way so many times that I practically didn't need to follow my own scent, jogging at a fast pace with barely a sniff at the ground.

I came to a small pond before long. Approaching the edge, the reflection of a russet wolf stared back. I glared into my own blue eyes. 

Monster.

A bird's sound of alarm made me jump, snapping me out of my staring contest. Snorting at my own fear, I looked up to see the bird fly away. It wasn't the first time I've found myself wishing I, too, could just take off. If maybe I'd been born some sort of bird monster instead of a wolf, then maybe I could be free. I could fly away anytime I felt in danger.

My eyes widened slightly as I noticed that the sky was slowly getting darker, showing that I didn't have much time left. Letting out a sigh, I leaned down to lap at the water and stretch, getting ready for the fast paced run I would have to do to get back in time.

I looked once more into the pond, observing my wolf form. Lips curving downward, I turned away. My walk turning into a jog and then a run as I make my way to the place I hate most in the world....
___________________
****Wow okay first chapter done. Trying not to spoil some stuff for you so I purposely left it vague. Hopefully you'll come to know and love Asher and his future character development!****