Chapter 26

~Kade's POV~

Asher and I limped side by side on the way back. We took our time, our guards up just in case there were any of Murphy's pack that we'd missed. I doubted there was. Once Murphy was taken down, the ones that were alive just ran. I didn't know where they would go. They'd become rogues unless they found another pack that was willing to let them join. It wasn't an uncommon occurrence, but seeing that the surrounding packs knew what transpired, any survivors would have to go a long way to find a home... if they survived that is.

My emotions were in conflict as we slowly made our way home. On one hand, I was furious that Asher didn't stay in the safe room. It terrified me. The thought of him dying made me feel empty and in pain at the same time. I knew he had felt the same though. In fact, if he hadn't rushed to help, Eric would have to deliver the news and Asher would be feeling that at this very moment. I couldn't even bring myself to imagine the pain he might feel. Just thinking about made me hurt, knowing that it would have been my fault.

Asher brushed against my side, providing comfort, my thoughts seeping through the link. I leaned into him, appreciating the action. I was glad that we both survived this battle relatively unscathed. There didn't seem to be many casualties on our side and those who did lose their lives wouldn't be forgotten. Murphy would be brought to justice for what's he's done, not only to Asher but also the rest of the pack.

I looked ahead, easily spotting naked, bloody body of Murphy. He had his hands tied behind him, the rope biting into him painfully. A blindfold covered his eyes as an extra precaution. I doubted that he would escape, but we weren't taking chances. Liam and Rowan stood on either side of him in human form, a tight grip on his arms as they lead him. Other wolves surrounded him and Eric stood a distance behind us, watching over.

I could feel their anger at Murphy. They blamed him for this, all the pain and suffering. He had led his pack to battle, but it wasn't only that. Our packs have been at odds for quite some time. Whether it was because his wolves had ventured into our territory or had altercations in No Man's Land, there was always something. Had Murphy not come for Asher, I firmly believe this fight would have happened anyway.

We arrived at the pack house just as the last of the pack left the safe house, warriors having been sent ahead of time to deliver the news and provide extra protection. The relieved expressions on everyone's faces turned vicious, even murderous, as they caught sight of Murphy. Though they easily parted as Liam and Rowan led him past the house and back into the woods, I could see that every one of them wanted to tear him apart.

Where are they taking him? I glanced at Asher, forgetting he didn't know.

There's a small shed a little bit aways with a trap door that leads down into a, uh, sort of dungeon. Any prisoners are taken there to be held in cells and... interrogated.

Instant understanding crossed his face and he turned to where they disappeared. I didn't detect any sympathy on his face nor could I feel it through the link. Murphy didn't deserve sympathy though.

"Dad! Papa!"

We turned to see Fallon running at us full force, Riley jogging closely behind. They skidded to a stop right before us, falling to their knees as their eyes filled with tears. I was surprised that they didn't let them fall. They stared at the blood that coated our pelts. We were obviously hurt, but Asher was quick to reassure them that it wasn't anything life threatening. Asher rolled his eyes when they looked at me for confirmation, not taking him for his word.

Yeah, we're fine pups.

Their shoulders sagged in relief and they gave each of us a real smile, happiness shining through. My chest swelled with pride at how they handled themselves. Though they were kids, they were mature beyond their years. Abuse was something they knew well, but they never let it destroy them. They were strong. I was proud to call them my pups and I knew Asher was as well.