Chapter 16

~Asher's POV~

I was excited. Also nervous but that wasn't the point. Kade was taking me into town. It would be the first time I could remeber going out, seeing people and doing things. I honestly didn't care where we were going to do, just that I was going to see somewhere new.

Kade looked at me, partly with amusement and the other part concern, as I rushed about excitedly. I pulled on a pair of cargo shorts and a tank top. I still didn't like clothes, more comfortable being nude, but people around here wore them so I guess I'd have to. 

He pointed to my feet once I'd turned around. Stifling a groan, I looked for a pair of flip flops, pulling them on with a frown. Shoes were my least favorite. They constricted your feet and prevented you from feeling the earth as you walked. Flip flops, at least, were managable. They still felt weird though.

Once done, we headed down stairs. Rory was waiting for us by the front door, giving a dramatic sigh of relief when we appeared and throwing his hands up.

"FINALLY! Jeez, I guess some people just can't be on time." Kade snorted, opening the door.

"I don't even want to hear that from you." Rory pretended to look wounded as we headed to the parked Hummer.

I was weary, getting into the back seat of the monstrous vehicle. I didn't fully trust the thing, but Kade reassured me it'd be safe. Even so, I couldn't help but have a death grip on the door as he started the engine. He left it in park until I calmed down, Rory adding in a comment to try not to puke, and then we were off.

It took just under an hour to get to town by car. My excitement hadn't dimmed in the least. Once I spotted the first building, it actually sky rocketed.

I stared in awe at the various things. The town was huge by my standard. Plus, there were so many people. More than I'd ever been around at one time. They all went about, heading to their destinations or making conversation, sometimes doing both. I thought that being around the pack was slightly overwhelming, but they had nothing on this.

I was the last to get out when we parked, not knowing how to open the door. Kade just chuckled, releasing me from the metal prison before showing me how to do it myself. We walked into a store, immediately being greeted by a worker at the door. I hid behind Kade, looking at the plump woman with caution. She seemed nice, if not a little too cheery, but looks could be deceiving.

It's fine Asher, it's her job to greet us.

I sighed as Kade ran his hand up and down my back, leading me further into the store. It took a long time to get to what we'd originally came for since I kept wandering off or stopping to look at things. I was grateful that Kade hadn't gotten angry with me, instead just smiling with amusement at my constant state of wonder and stream of questions.

What's this? I cocked my head at the strange object. Kade pit it in the cart Rory had gone back to get before answering.

"It's a Kindle."

What does it do?

"Well, it has thousands of books on it which people can read." I snorted.

...I don't think that many books can fit in the little box. He just grinned.

"They're ebooks. Uh, that means they're electronic." I still didn't get it but I let it go.

So who's it for?

"Oh, it's a Christmas present for McKenna. She's always complaining about not having enough books to read. It's not for awhile, but I figured I might as well get gift shopping over with. Plus, if I do it now, it'll be easier to hide them so no one peeks."