Chapter 23

~Kade's POV~

"ASHER!"

That sound, that one word screamed from afar, made my blood run cold and then fill with rage as I felt all the pain my mate was trying to hide. I attacked the wolf in front of me in a frenzy, moving to fast for him to catch up. By the time he realized the damage I'd inflicted, he was already falling to the ground.

I joined Riley to help finish off the other wolf. He went down quickly with two against one. Then we rushed in the direction Asher and Fallon went. My panic rose as we got closer, the smell of blood coating the area.

I spotted them, the sight making my chest squeeze in pain. Asher's beautiful wolf form was coated in blood. I couldn't tell whose it was, but I knew a lot of it was his. So, I ran over. Asher must have sensed me get close because he shifted as well.

I fell to my knees beside him with a curse, "Fuck, don't move Asher. Hold on, baby. Shh, it'll be alright. The other's are taken care of. Riley's safe, she's right here too. Just hang in there. Please, Asher."

I rambled until the others got there. Gunner was with them, having ridden on Thalia's back. Only Eric shifted, the others worried about a possible ambush. Gunner quickly got to work, cleaning the blood off of Asher.

Fallon went back to get Asher's clothes. I was about to ask him why, since they were ripped to shreds, but then he pulled out a picture. I knew immediately it was the one Asher found at his old home. It was always on him and everyone knew he treasured it. He would have been devastated had something happened to it. I nodded my thanks and focused my attention on Asher.

"Luckily, it isn't as bad as it seems." I breathed a sigh of relief as Gunner continued, "His wounds are already starting to close. I believe he passed out because he's still not used to shifting. That, combined with the fight, probably caused a lot of stress---"

Ow.

Everyone turned to look at Asher, his eyes fluttering open. He saw me a gave me a small, wolfish grin which I returned, relief washing over me knowing that he wouldn't be out for as long as the first time he shifted.

I won, Kade.

"What?" I looked at him in confusion as his grin widened, filling with pride and a bit of amusement.

I won the fight, I protected Fallon.

Understanding hit me and my smile widened, "Yeah, you did baby. I'm so proud of you." His lips twitched and his eyes shined. Suddenly, he was in my arms, holding onto me tightly.

I was really scared that I wouldn't win. Fallon needed me. And... and I didn't want to die. I wanted to win so I could see you again. I want to stay with you for as long as you allow me to. I want to be a family with you and Riley and Fallon. I.. I love you Kade and I want to be with you, I want to stay your mate.

I was stunned. Automatically, my arms tightened around him as I tried to bring him closer. I breathed in his scent as we tried to get as close to each other as possible, the others disappearing from our minds. We were covered in blood but neither one of us cared.

"I love you too," I whispered against his ear, noticing the shiver that went down his body, "I love you so much. I love the idea of being with you, being a family. Please never leave."

His body shook. My first thought was that he was crying. I leaned back, worry on my face, but then I saw his smile. His eyes were full of happiness and he pressed his forehead against mine, smiling.

Never. I'll never leave you in this life or the next.

I grinned, happiness washing over me at his statement. I heard a sniffle and looked to see Riley crying with a happy Fallon next to her. They had huge grins as they took us in.