Chapter 11

~Asher's POV~

The morning came with me waking up beside Kade, who seemed to be fine with studying me as I slept. I ignored the flutter in my chest, evading his gaze that was full of warmth and another emotion.

The two other doors were revealed to be a nice sized closet and spacious bathroom, not matching the small bedroom. As I waited for Kade to get ready, I made sure to look away. He was unashamed but I could not bring myself to glance at his body. I didn't even want to think about it, fearful that the unfamiliar feelings would intensify. With a chuckle, Kade abandoned his half-hearted attempt of seduction and lead me downstairs to the kitchen.

Though a heavenly arouma flowed from the room, I was surprised to see a large breakfast laid out, ranging from pancakes to biscuits and gravy to scrambled eggs. A grinning Jasper was there to greet us with a 'good morning' and guilt washed over me, knowing that I would not be able to take part in the meal he had so generously made. I apologized, my head low, but he just smiled.

"Don't worry about it." He reassured me, "I make food like this everyday. I enjoy cooking. Plus, these heathens eat a ton."

"Who's a heathen?" Lucas asked upon entering, painting a kiss on Jasper's forehead before grabbing a plate.

"Who isn't?"

"Well I, for one, like to think myself a gentlemen." Rory answered, earning a snort from Kade, as he entered with Thalia and Gunnar close behind. They began to bicker, Rory trying to take a swipe at Kade as he continued to tease him, the others watching on, amused.

As the days progressed, I learned many things about the pack, drastically changing my way of thinking. I was still no where near comfortable enough to talk about what we endured, but the fact that they never once pushed me showed that they were, in fact, kind and trustworthy people. It allowed me to relax slightly and enjoy my time with them.

I immediately realized that Lucas and Gunnar were human. It surprised me that, even though they did not have the same strengths as we wolves did, no one treated them differently. I'd never known any other humans beside my father so I was nervous around them, not letting the fact they were human lower my guard. But it was quickly made obvious that I had nothing to worry about.

Lucas was always following Jasper around, a soft look in his eye everytime he looked at him. He showed his affection every chance he got, sometimes with words of love and other times in a more physical way. I had, much to my embarrassment, stumbled upon them exchanging passionate kisses while Lucas's hands roamed Jasper's slender form.

Though less affectionate in public, Gunnar was the same with Thalia. Thalia was dominant in the relationship, however she had moments when she thought no one could see and became very shy. While Gunnar, on the other hand, sometimes got a possessive look in his eye that contradicted his usual level headed nature.

Thalia had quickly earned my respect, if not trust. I learned that Thalia was strong, having to grow up quickly to take care of Makena, her younger human sister, who tried her best to be independent.

Every action Thalia took was thought out, expressing a maturity beyond her years. Though she had her bursts of anger, she cared for everyone immensely. More than once I saw her showing a motherly affection to Riley and Fallon---even catching her looking at me with eyes, though tinged with pity, full of warmth and love.

The whole pack was close, even those who did not live in the pack house. We were visited by many people over the weeks. They were curious to see the new arrivals. Though they were practically strangers, they greeted us with open arms, letting us know that we are family.